Cloud App Question

Yeah, I guess I will need to pick up that habit. Not really a fan of it, because it makes the signal to noise ratio of threads go bad.

Ha good look with that. He delete one of mine yesterday that had a reply. Sited inaccuracy and exaggeration. Wouldn’t say what was inaccurate but I think he should look closer to home. How many times did he tell us we would get our machines in October after he knew we would not? And as for exaggeration, just look at the advertising.

1 Like

Can you please stop the broken record posting?

1 Like

Can you?

No, only you can stop your repetitive postings.

1 Like

It was a new subject, deleting post. Did you already know Dan deleted one of my posts yesterday?

1 Like

I saw your reference to that above here. Sorry to hear that. Perhaps if you helped add to the signal here you might regain a bit of the respect you used to have.

You have a lot of knowledge and experience. Sharing that in constructive ways can make the forum a better place.

Spouting the same contrarian diatribe over and over just increases the noise here.

You have very clear biases about how a laser tool should be built. Whether you like it or not, Glowforge did it differently. Disruptive companies often do things in ways the established industry players deem foolhardy. Successful disrupters make something possible that had been impossible before.

In Glowforge’s case, they are bringing a laser cutter/engraver (or subtractive 3D Laser Printer) to a new market by improving the capabilities/cost ratio and making it more accessible. Are there cheaper lasers out there? Yes. Are there more capable lasers available? Yes. Is there anything close to competition for the feature set at this price? Not that anyone has been able to point to.

While the Glowforge is definitely marketed to the Maker community, and there is a subset of that community that wants complete control to modify, rebuild, reprogram, and repurpose every tool they have, the Glowforge is not targeted to that small subset. Releasing the firmware is an escape hatch in case the disruption Glowforge is after falls flat. I am certain that some people, perhaps yourself among them, will create an alternative system once the firmware is released. I am almost as sure that someone would reverse engineer the firmware even if Glowforge crashed in flames before releasing the source.

But the value proposition that we bought into is one where the company succeeds and continues to improve the capabilities of the whole system. The community here is part of that. Having a vibrant, creative, low noise and low drama forum is part of that. It is one of the things that has kept people here and engaged over the many delays.

When someone new posts an oft repeated question, it may be helpful to simply post a link to one of the myriad discussions of that topic that has come before, or suggest a search term that will bring up all the prior discussion. When someone has been here for a long time and posts one of these types of questions, it gives the impression they are just trying to stir up the muck again.

Please understand that I am not saying to be silent when the company does something new that you don’t like. The outcry about replacement laser tubes is a good example where the community said, “this ain’t right,” and effected change. But constant complaining, or asking incessantly for updates about when a promised feature will be delivered is just noise.

Please consider that everyone here has been moved to buy into the dream Glowforge presented. Understand that the realization of that dream is an ongoing process that will follow its own timeline rather than an arbitrary schedule laid out two years ago.

If this were easy and predictable, it wouldn’t be breaking price/performance barriers. It wouldn’t be a Glowforge.

10 Likes

Very well said. Preaching to the choir for some of us but unfortunately likely to fall on deaf ears in other cases. But you’ve summed it up nicely. :slight_smile:️

3 Likes

Someone flagged one of your posts as being against forum guidelines, and I confirmed that it was - which indeed causes it to be hidden from the site. It’s rare, though - less than one percent of your posts have been flagged, and half of those flags I’ve dismissed (because the post did comply with guidelines).

4 Likes

I don’t agree that is was inaccurate. Try counting how many of the 12 “revolutionary features” work at the moment.

How can i “ignore” or block seeing palmercr posts/comments? I’m already very tired of the broken record he is. Please, someone help me out here, I did look around a bit and can’t find it.

The best anyone can do to ignore content from any user is put them on mute. Discourse is officially not going to make a block function. The best this will get you is it will not alert you to posts, @ mentions, or PMs from whomever you place in your list.

Their rational is it doesn’t fix the bad behavior of the person being blocked.

1 Like

The mute will just remove alerts when that person posts but won’t hide the posts. If you’re not getting email alerts (I don’t, I go look in the forum for new/updated topics - too much activity to fill up my email box with alerts) then the mute won’t change your experience. A hide feature where you won’t see their posts when you’re in a topic has been requested from Discourse but has not been delivered or agreed to.

I believe it will also not show up as an alert in the upper corner but I could be wrong.

This works if you mute sections/posts, not sure if it works on individual users, but it doesnt make much sense because you’d get an alert when someone else responds in a thread thus you’d read past responses by someone you muted.

In due because you’re not muting the user, just the alerts. Discourse posted in a different thread on the boards here to one of they’re own wherein someone was asking for a block function and they responded with no, because if you need to block bad behavior the bad behavior will continue. Flag instead.

1 Like

True but I never pay attention to that anyway (except when there’s a number on the left side of the avatar - that’s for PMs). I just work my way through latest/new.