CNC vs Milling machine

Holy bejeezus - and I thought my Beyer Dynamic headphones were expensive!

Wait - just saw the massdrop price. Way better than the $1300 on Anazon for the TH900s that I first saw. :wink:

I am obviously missing something here with no audiophile headphones. However, I live alone so I can always listen to what I want.

2 Likes

Holy cow! Phew!

1 Like

These are supposed to be one of the best pairs of headphones around, along with the AKG K7XX. One is open air, the other closed. I was so hyped to be able to pick them up off of mass drop for the price they have them.

They have both of them for sale currently, and the THX-00s are Purple Heart! They have amazing sound reproduction. I’m slightly biased towards the mahogany because of tonal and wood color reasons, but the Purple Heart are awesome.

If you are an audiophile I highly recommend both the thx-00s and the AKG k7XXs

I’m a video editor and end up working around people a lot, so I’m typically wearing headphones 50+ hrs/week. I learned real fast that comfort is king and bought a pair of Beyer DT-990’s when I first started out. The cloth cups are amazing.

When I got them years ago they cost almost double the Fostex in that Massdrop deal. I would have been on those too though if I had noticed them and needed new ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ordered a shapeoko 3, any need to get items for a first time cnc owner? (Ive used a cnc before at school)
Thanks

1 Like

Bits, bits and more bits. Some form of dust collection too.

2 Likes

Make sure you have some relatively thin, cheap material available for practicing. It’s amazing how good designs look on paper, then you try to produce them on the CNC and find a lot of face slap mistakes. 1/4" MDF or inexpensive plywood works fine to test many patterns. And save the small scraps of all your material. I do a lot of inlay tests with pieces just a couple inches square.

3 Likes

If you really want to jump in with both feet.

1. The aluminum bed is a great upgrade IMO.

2. Super PID if you want accurate control of you speed for your speeds & feeds calc’s.

3. Amana “O” Flutes. Fantasticly clean cuts from those bits. But, they are not cheap.

4. Dust shoe should be number one actually.

5. For CAD/CAM I’d recommend Fusion 360. Free for the hobbyist crowd. I’ve tried a number and it is top notch IMO.

I’m really happy with my Shapeoko 3.

+1 on the SuperPID or a VFD. Setting the RPM to what’s expected vs. guessing is a crucial. The added bonus to a SuperPID is able to use lower RPMs on routers with onboard PIDs (Additional cooling will be required) and its closed loop. Which means you get gobs of torque at all the RPM ranges (as in when you tell it lets say 8500 RPM- no matter what it’s going to maintain 8500 RPM). An added bonus to LinuxCNC / MachineKit users is the tach out on a SuperPID (or VFD). This can use with something called ‘Spindle-at-speed’. This basically means if you doing a roughing pass at a lower RPM (i.e M3 S9500) then with the same tool loaded want to do a finishing pass (i.e. M3 S12375) LCNC will pause and wait for the spindle to ramp from 9500 to 12375 RPM, then continue. Verse the tool crashing into the part at the wrong RPM at the mismatched feedrate.

1 Like

I second the dust shoe!

:grin:

8 Likes

Marius Hornberger posted his dust shoe make for his X-Carve. I vote Marius the best woodworking YouTube videos of all. His X-Carve videos got me looking for a CNC. I was ready to make a trip to Chicago to pick up an X-Carve when the Glowforge pre-order campaign came out. I totally switched direction. That’s also when I decided to do the band saw build so I could resaw my own wood for the laser.

3 Likes

Ah, that is a nice design. Very similar to the one I posted above, but with a few additional upgrades. I also think all dust shoes should be made from something see through. Now if one only had a camera mounted in it… hmmmmmm

1 Like

He did pattern it after the Suckit.

2 Likes

My Suckit should be shipped this week according to the maker.

4 Likes

Mine too. Looking forward to not having to hold the shop vac hose anymore during cuts!

2 Likes

I tried this once… bumped the spindle and messed up the cut. Luckily I have a dust shoe already, but wouldnt mind having one like the ones on this thread

2 Likes

Did the same. Got too close and the router pinned the vacuum hose. Motors started screaming and shuddering. Luckily the emergency stop button was handy. Nothing damaged or knocked out of alignment other than the project.

Do you have anything you can brag about in the Show and Tell thread? Please? Even if they are failures, they teach. :grin:

3 Likes