Coconut shell anyone?

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anybody here ever tried cutting and/or engraving coconut shells? I have some coconut shells I saved from making coconut drinks and my own coconut oil and I wanted to use them to make something. But I figure I’d try to cut and engrave something with them in the glowforge. Just don’t know what yet or how. Figure I’d ask to get some help and direction from other people in this group. That is, if it has been done. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve never seen anyone mention it, you should try it.

Some things that might help… read through these results:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=curved%20surface

And check out #6 here:

2 Likes

I can’t believe that during the great PRU what food can I shove in my Glowforge wars between me and @Jules, that coconut shells didn’t come up. This week they are particularly apropos as JFK got his medals on 6/14 for saving his crew (he sent messages on coconut shells)

It is unclear who won the wars, but I will note it was only this inter that I finally threw out the lasered peep (my Glowforge smelled like cotton candy for a week).

12 Likes

As long as it didn’t smell like burnt sugar, but just like a Peep! Never in a million years would I have thought of lasering a Peep!

3 Likes

Interesting idea! Definitely watch for potential fire issues (as you always should). Hope you’ll share your experiments with us…

1 Like

I’d like to try but I’m still pretty new to glowforge and don’t know what settings to put it in. Nor do I know how to measure the thickness of my materials yet. But I really want to try, I’ve got ideas for the coconut shells I’ve got. I will do my homework and try. Will definitely get back to you all on this. If I figure it out, I will let you all know.

1 Like

Chuckle! As I recall, Henry won that war (mustard seed) but I think I was the one who started it by requesting a lasered peep. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

(Sorry about the cotton candy Glowie there @henryhbk!) :rofl:

@jarenicebravo, there’s no reason you can’t engrave on a coconut shell that I know of, and the only issue will be the height/curvature of the shell. If it is thicker/taller than 1/2 inch, you will need to take the tray out and prop up the shell fragment so that the top surface of the shell falls between 1.5" from the metal bottom of the tray and 1.75". I wouldn’t try to go outside of that range with an unknown material, and if there are any fuzzies on the shell, shave or polish them off first.

3 Likes

Would love to see the “fruits” of your labor.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.