Comparison of adhesive appearances on transparent acrylic

i’m 99.9% sure that will tear the paint/paper off of the drywall if you remove it. it’s a very permanent adhesive.

3 Likes

:joy: That is what I thought!

1 Like

If you can get a hold on the edge of the adhesive and pull it parallel to the surface, it usually comes off with minimal damage. Same concept as Scotch Command Adhesive, which is 3M VHB on foam backing. You pull the foam to disrupt the adhesive layer and it comes off usually with no or minimal damage.

3 Likes

You know when you get a credit card in the mail, it is held down with that solidified glue that is really easy to remove? They sell that same stuff in dots. Seems like it has a good chance of coming off a wall without damage.

1 Like

I’ve been curious about that stuff, you got a link handy?

this may be true of the larger rolls of 3m adhesive transfer tape that was posted earlier. it’s not true of the thinner roll i posted that i used. that stuff holds like a mofo.

the dot stuff can be bought at any decent office supply store (that’s where i picked some up years ago). as well as amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Glue-Dots-Removable-Adhesive-08248/dp/B00161UBTW

they’re called glue dots.

yes, those would come off the wall easily. but they also don’t have the same kind of long-term holding power (maybe not even all that much short-term, depending on how you define those). and they’re not anywhere near as thin. your object will not truly flush mount the same way.

3 Likes

That is the same stuff they use for cellphones. I was able to get it off the same way when I had to replace the screen on my phone. It left residue, but the pulling from the edge took most of it off. YMMV I guess.

lol, well, a cell phone is VERY different than a piece of drywall structurally.

Agreed; my point was that the adhesive came off the same way, by pulling on it parallel to the surface.

i guess i’m confused because we were talking about mounting to drywall. i don’t think there’s a way to remove it without damaging the drywall (@jamely’s original question).

Command Adhesive mounts to drywall and can be removed without damage to the drywall. Command Adhesive is VHB on foam tape. When you are ready to remove the adhesive, you pull on the tab, which stresses the VHB and causes it to fail. This removes it from the drywall with little to no damage. This same principle works for any tape with a flexible carrier, including the PET used in the roll in the first link I see from you.
If you use foam double-sided tape and need to get started, use dental floss to get between the two surfaces and cut the foam. Then you can usually get one part started and pull parallel to the surface to defeat the adhesive, though it will be harder to do it in one piece as the foam will be thinner.

1 Like

we’re not talking about the same thing. the tape i posted has no foam. it’s a thin (0.0078 inch) strip of clear, double-sided adhesive sandwiched between two strips of red protective layers. you peel off one red strip and apply to your substrate, then remove the other red protective layer and adhere to the wall. it’s extremely thin, unlike command adhesive, and your objects mount essentially flush. command adhesive would not be that flush. it’s a different type of material. and the adhesive itself is much stronger than command tape. it’s used to permanently adhere signage.

The tape you posted uses PET as the carrier. If the carrier will stretch, you can remove it in the same manner I mentioned. The stuff you posted is used to glue cell phones together and that is how they remove it when they have to change a battery or a screen - you get one end up and you pull parallel to the surface. The carrier stretches and the adhesive loses its grip. This is very important as batteries don’t like to be bent.
There is no adhesive stronger for double sided tape than VHB, per last I looked. I used VHB, which is the acrylic adhesive used on Command strips, to hang 25 pounds on a square inch of tape. It lasted three weeks before failing.
It may be that the carrier you have specifically is too thick or too wide to stretch easily, which is why I made the note that the carrier needs to be flexible.

but a cell phone surface is a very hard, very solid surface. if you do that to a piece of gypsum board, the paper will tear. the substrates are not comparable.

No, it won’t. The substrates are comparable, because the stretching and pulling of the carrier material destroys the adhesion. And no, not all cell phones that use this tape have it applied to hard, solid surfaces. The Lithium Ion cells are not hard, nor solid. They are like a mylar bag of putty. They use tape like this so they can get it off without risking damage to the cell.

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.