Cooling systems

How are the laser tubes cooled? Most use water cooling systems. Higher end use refrigeration system. I also noticed the operating temp is no more than 70 degrees. That’s still pretty cool for a work area but while running it will heat up at least 15 degrees. I only wonder because I noticed all the videos only show a small project being made. No more than 4 inches long and basic. Is that because it will start to overheat? Just wondering

There are several threads on cooling including this one: Cooling question. You can search all forums for “cooling” and you will find several other threads.

2 Likes

Here is an example of a larger project Built one of polarbrainfreeze's cars that dan cut 3 vehicle nearly-build from polarbrainfreeze

2 Likes

Here is a neat one of a trebuchet build that @likeablejerk designed and @dan built.

Great video.

1 Like

Some of the commercial grade cutters are starting to use air cooling. Our current Rofin still uses water cooling but we are replacing it with a fiber/ CO2 Epilog that uses a ceramic laser tube which does not require active cooling.

1 Like

Glowforge corporate secret…

There’s no hiring freeze…:grinning:

3 Likes

11 Likes

EEk! :scream: (looks like the ending of Se7en)

3 Likes

LOL!
Never thought of that!!!

What’s in the baaaaaaawks!!!

1 Like

Frozen Head :slight_smile:

Reminds me of a box I used to have from the hospital - it was labeled “Human Transplant Organ” and was great for bringing stuff on trips. Never had an issue being allowed to carry it on board an airplane no matter how small.

Now I wouldn’t be allowed to get away with that as TSA probably would want to know why there wasn’t a head or other body part inside and I was carrying snacks or company stuff in the box instead :smile:

7 Likes