Custom Foam Cuts for Tool Storage

3 Likes

I saw a video that showed a glimpse, and there was a ā€œyour projectsā€ icon on the sidebar, so I assume that feature will be part of the final build for us.
The only other features shown there was a ā€œuserā€ number and the website to log into.

My perception is the software is close judging from what we have seen.
I have no idea how many issues the team is struggling with to get all aspects to culminate as close to simultaneous as possible into our wonderful machines, but there will be the last ones to fall into place - and then @dan can get us all off his back.
Iā€™m quite sure that will be a high point for him, almost as much as it will be for us!

would you need the pro version to do something this size?

it looks like itll be cutting it a little close, but the great part about foam inlays like that is that you can use multiple pieces and just velcro them down to a base layer which will allow you more modularity in your arrangements

In my opinion a lot of those things are basics for running and cnc device. There are plenty of laser cutters on the market that do almost all of those things already. I am really hoping to see a lot of functionality beyond this. That is why I chose a glowforge over the lasers I could have right now.

What sold me, and a lot of others, was the promise for intelligent software that would fill the gap that the other lasers left you with. Having a mesh of intelligent hardware and software to push this machine beyond what was currently available on the market.

If it only ships with what you have listed here I will be really upset. Object detection is supposed to be built into the glowforge from the get-go. That is how they are supposed to be able to determine how to cut inverse patterns out of the backside of materials once flipped over, along with aligning designs to be printed. This could easily be parlayed into the feature i mentioned above with very very little effort.

Im expecting a lot from them on the software side of things as far as functionality is concerned. That was the whole point of making the glowforge. Im hoping they wont disappoint.

Perhaps we should stop hijacking this thread (even if it is a duplicate of Exact outline of real life objects :slightly_smiling:)

You are right, I forgot about the edge detection and flip-over-for-deeper-cutting.
That said, I would not be surprised if this is a ā€œcannedā€ cycle where you tell it you want to flip, and the driver handles the rest.

I suppose I am purposefully keeping my expectations low so as NOT to be disappointed, but the real reasons I bought in were that I wanted a high quality machine, and I wanted it to be easy to use. Not necessarily in that order. I donā€™t want to have to fight with janky hacker quality software, I donā€™t want to have to buy a windows machine just to run the laser, and I really donā€™t want to have to spend my time fiddling around with crap hardware.

I am fine with doing all kinds of manipulation in other software that I know well and use regularly.

I try to go into things with that attitude, but in this case it was the promises they made about functionality that made me pay the extra $3000 and wait an extra 8 months (while that charge is sitting on my credit card no less). Im expecting some thing from glowforge, and I think they can accomplish them. I can see the potential of what they are working with and hope they bring it to that point. I just wish we had a feature list of what the software is gonna be able to do. I can understand why they are reluctant to list that though.

1 Like

I hate metooism but ME TOO!
Only one problem, if I sorted my tools into appropriate categories and created individual spaces spaces for them in toobox trays Iā€™ll need to buy 5 more toolboxes. Nowā€¦ if someone has a GF Pro design for a toolbox in plywood ā€¦

2 Likes

Man, I tried to find plastic toolboxes at Home Depot with drawers, to easily organize stuff, and it was impossible. I hate having to stack stuff on top of stuff and have to go digging through all the stuff to find stuff. I may build layers for my toolboxes out of acrylic, so at least it will be easier to get to all my stuff.

1 Like

Just stop using drawers.

I do like the idea of the custom cut ā€œA place for every thingā€ idea. But that REALLY needs to be reserved for applications where organization is paramount, and space is plentiful.

I maintain a full room of physics demo gear, and getting professors to put things back where they got them is IMPOSSIBLE. So today when I walked through the demo room and thought about this post, everything clicked.

For my tools, I will be following Adam Savageā€™s approach. Especially since I can make that cart he has on the Pro quite easily.

But, for my precious demo gear, and for anything which I need to pack and carryā€¦ custom cut foam all the way!

7 Likes

LOL, omg, for a second, I thought you WERE Adam Savage, lolol

I donā€™t think Adam is an owner, but Norman from his show Tested sure is!

3 Likes

Yes this. First order retrievability. ā€œDrawers are where tools go to dieā€.

I have a cart very similar to this because Iā€™m the person that always would be putting down that one tool and then spend 15 minutes looking for it. I just keep my cart beside me with everything in it and donā€™t run into that problem anymore. However there are a few pieces in the cart which need to be held in place, so I have them in snap ins in the back, but itā€™s a pain pulling them out. Foam will work so much better.

I think Jeremy Williams is also on the listā€¦ Anyone want to guess how I first heard about the Glowforge?

Their arcade cabinet build where they use Adams Trotec to cut and engrave little avatars of themselves is what got me drooling for a laser cutter. Then I saw the Trotec price tag and was waffled around for months until I saw the glowforge. I cant wait. I would seriously volunteer at glowforge if I lived closer.

I love that cart but I donā€™t have enough floor space to let it roll around easily. So I went for pegboard to house things like pliers and hammers and such. But I also have quite a few precision measuring tools that really want to be in a drawer to keep them dust and rust free, and the foam will keep them from bumping into each other. It will also keep me from trying to cram JUST ONE MORE tool into that drawerā€¦

1 Like

I could have enough floor space, but typically donā€™t. My hope for having such a cart is to encourage myself to keep up on cleaning.

Another great application is for file storage. Most damage is done to files when they touch each other, like loose in a drawer.

1 Like

yep, and end mill/router bits too. will be nice to be able to pop out custom holders for those

2 Likes

I am super excited about that too.