Custom Settlers of Catan Board

So, with time off this time of year I finally go to do some of the larger projects that I normally don’t have time for. (Of course they are gifts for others…)

I thought this would be easy. I have a template to start from and had previously made modifications to it. I had just finished up a topographic map and thought this would be much easier.

The base layer 1/8" Baltic Birch and the top layer is 1/16" Basswood plywood. I couldn’t get my masking to stick to the Basswood; it was so strange.

The Catan board ended up using more wood than the map, but I really like how it turned out.

The reason I went with this design is because I like the way it created holding spaces for the towns/cities and the roads.

I look forward to giving it to my friends. I also plan on eventually adding the expansion pieces.

[Edit: Finally finished the box!]

[Edit: Information about the original author!]
This is modified from a design by “katton” at Imgur:

36 Likes

That is absolutely amazing! Fabulous job!

5 Likes

I like the way you reimagined the tiles. Very nice from an aesthetic as well as a practical point of view.

5 Likes

That looks great. My wife bought me the game last Friday (but not for Christmas) and that is my next project. I have been looking at different designs for ideas the last few days. Now you have raised the bar for me.

6 Likes

Wow! This will be such a pleasure to use, love your colour choices as well.

4 Likes

I love the layered designs! Very nice job on it.

3 Likes

Wow! It looks great! Sorry you don’t get to keep it for yourself.

3 Likes

Really nice design work on that! Needs a custom box for it (with the artists signature)!

3 Likes

I am still working on the box. It is drying.

2 Likes

Very nicely done and especially the way you made it your own with unique tiles.

2 Likes

Fantastic

2 Likes

I keep thinking about making one of these, I keep looking at some others work for inspiration but have not seen one I really like, until now, I really like the way you have created this. I may now try and complete this long put off project. Thank you much for this share.

1 Like

really neat layout for the tiles. We loved making ours last season and I know how much work goes into this project. Congrats on a great outcome. I still need to make one for myself.

1 Like

Fantastic outcome. Very nice indeed.

2 Likes

I finally finished the box. It is not perfect, but I am sure my friends will still love it.

6 Likes

What program or system did you use to create the interlocking hexes ?
the layout looks great!
Thanks DJ

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

The original design was referenced in this post:

It was a design posted by someone else. It was so unique I knew I wanted to give it a try! I didn’t like everything about it so I did make a few a changes for my version, but it turned out beautiful!

Now that it is done, if/when I do it again I would make more changes to the box. (Mainly I would probably build in a drawer for the tokens and make sure it is big enough to hold the expansion.)

3 Likes

I have updated the original post with the information about the original I modified, for those that find this thread in the future!

2 Likes

The box is beautiful. love the wa yet holds the pieces.

2 Likes