Custom shuttle engraving

That’s a good consideration if I customize other weaver’s shuttles; if they buy mine, I think there would be no problem. In the profile view you can see that the engraved areas are in a space (a dip?) where the threads will be above or below but won’t be able to be touched by the threads. If the threads are improperly tensioned and some sag, then the engrave on the shuttle is the least of the weaver’s problems.

However, there are shuttles where the nose and tail of the shuttle are flat and flush with the upper surface. Those could snag a fuzzy yarn. But it would have to be a fuzzy, fat, droopy yarn.

The veneer name plate on the side normally faces the widest area of the shed (space formed between upper and lower threads). That would probably be the most likely to be snagged during handling.

No, I haven’t used the shuttle yet. I don’t have a dressed loom to work on right now. Warping a loom for even a small project can take me all day. Hopefully I’ll get off my butt and do some weaving soon!

2 Likes