Cute Glowforge setups

Just like one in your kitchen - in best case scenario you replace it in a decade because it’s run out, not because you ever used it!

8 Likes

I have never had to use it but CO2 and a water spray bottle are a lot easier to clean up after, than powder etc. I kept a damp cloth about but it got raunchy after a while. With highly flammable woods I sometimes spray with water before cutting to lower the char, but rarely necessary with most wood.

7 Likes

An extinguisher is not a bad idea, but in the 6 years I’ve had this thing I haven’t needed it. Acrylic is the material you want to watch. Over the years the fires we have seen pictures of have all been acrylic. Close-spaced details dump a lot of heat in a small area and can ignite acrylic.

How do you have your laser vented? Many of us have opted for an inline booster fan and turned off that screaming exhaust fan. The boosters are very quiet compared to the stock fan.
Many people have complained of smoke smell. That’s another plus to a booster. The stock fan is pushing the smoke out, and any leaks in the venting will allow smoke out. A booster installed as close as possible to the building exit will be pulling the smoke out, so any leaks in the vent will be sucking air in instead of pushing it out.

11 Likes

Very nice set up. You would be appalled at the amount of junk I have in mine!! One of these days I’ll get organized again! Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

In my dreams! You’ve got to have actual space before you can make it over however.

7 Likes

I have the Glowforge air filter on the way (my machine actually got here before the filter, so I’ve been trying to pace myself :)) Is that the stock fan you’re referring to?

2 Likes

The filter medium is very expensive, so if there’s anyway you can vent outside you should definitely figure it out!

That being said, yes, the main fan at the back of the machine. You turn it off when using the air filter, but also if you vent outside you can pick up a cheap (or expensive) small fan that will pull the air rather than push it and it become so much quieter, like you can take a phone call or watch TV next to your laser while it’s cutting quiet. Definitely worth it!

8 Likes

“A clean desk is sign of a sick mind.”
In your case, your workspace is evidence of your proven genius @pubultrastar !

9 Likes

Evil genius in my mind’s eye.

3 Likes

No, there is a fan in the machine that is really loud. Using the filter, you should have that turned off.
I second venting outside to prevent the expense of the filter replacement.

6 Likes

This is a “why not both?” thing. I have a spray bottle full of water handy and a halotron fire extinguisher, in case things get out of hand.

7 Likes

Greetings -

That’s the design space, aka Living room. :wink: Below is the adjacent work room, aka sunroom, where most of the cutting, painting, gluing, sanding, loud or smelly tasks happen. Hard flooring is nice for this area, making clean up a lot easier…

It’s also nice to have a door to the outside for setting up a temp work table and spray painting small parts, or especially using spray glue, without making a huge mess or stink ‘inside’.

HL

8 Likes

Totally agree on separate ventilation. I have my Glowforge in a wholly separate building from the main house. I’m really glad there is no way for laser smells to get into the main living space.

6 Likes

Great setups!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.