Cutting plywood

Hi. why when i cutt plywood not cutt all area ? :worried:

Are those pictures of the back? Assuming it is: it just needs a little more power or to cut a little slower. Are you using ProofGrade or some other kind of plywood? Also, is it laying perfectly flat or is there a little warp in it?

If this is not proofgrade material, Glowforge support will not comment. In general, if the material is perfectly flat and properly measured, then either increase power or slow speed. You probably should run small test files to determine optimal settings before launching a large project file.

I would take a close look at the file. It doesn’t look like the laser fired at all in those spots. Can you zip the file and drop it here so someone could check it?

I have seen this happen a number of times.It is a matter with non-proofgrade plywood. Below the veneer, it can have knots and filled voids, among other possibilities. The filler material is a lot denser and harder than the wood, and takes more to punch through.

2 Likes

Uploading: 1.cdr…

I thought the same thing, but if it were due to a fill it just wouldn’t cut all the way through. It looks like the skipped spots never got touched by the beam.

I couldn’t open that. If you are working from windows, right click the file and select “Send to compressed (zipped) folder”.

Look at the last picture. It makes obvious we are looking at pictures of the back earlier. Cuts about halfway through, then hits filler. (I hate that stuff.)

2 Likes

Ahh, your right.

Yep…it’s bad material. I’ve seen it happen dozens of times on crap plywood from the local hardware store…if it hits a dense glue spot or small void in the fill, it just skips…exactly like that did. (And I wind up cussing like a sailor.)

@drbicko…you either will want to buy a better grade of plywood, or send a second and sometimes a third cut pass. There is no other way to get through bad material. Baltic Birch is generally considered some of the better wood, although you can still have it happen once in a while with that. Sorry, I know it’s aggravating.

6 Likes

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

I bought it as the most expensive quality but …

even the best quality plywood sometimes has imperfections. it’s just less likely to.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen the same thing. It’s a real pain.

1 Like
3 Likes