Cutting records (vinyl lps) or the old 78 rpm records?

speaking of old records, this is just too funny not to share (nsfw language):

4 Likes

I don’t remember seeing that but I probably watched it happen. Rarely did I miss an episode of that shoots.

Could this be accomplished well with a waterjet cutter?

The only concern is burning the PVC. Waterjet cutting it should be fine.

A scroll saw would probably work, too, with some judicious drilling…the problem with vinyl isn’t so much the fumes - we all use lots of toxic goo in the workshop from time to time, that’s what ventilation and respirators are for - it’s more that a laser box is a confined space full of stuff that is especially sensitive to corrosion.

3 Likes

I would personally say the #1 concern with chlorine gas is your health. It can wreck your body permanently, or result in death. Thats a good enough reason to never ever risk that type of damage over having a cool looking trinket that you can have via other safe means.

Yes, chlorine gas could. But unless you’re burning a whole bonfire of vinyl, it’s nothing to worry about as long as precautions are taken. Cutting a single album isn’t going to create enough for you to even notice. You’ll smell the vinyl, you won’t notice the gas. Again, the real risk with laser cutting it is that you can make a fair amount in a small space.

I’m not suggesting to lean over and breathe in the vapours. But a chem mask and a well-ventilated area means it’s a non-issue.

1 Like

Even if I weren’t worried about the corrosion of my lungs, I’d be worried about the corrosion inside the machine. Anyone wanna bet that’s a void-your-warranty cut?

3 Likes

Yeah, which is why I said don’t do it in the laser and use something mechanical with lots of ventilation. :see_no_evil:

Corroding sensitive equipment is the real danger, unless you’re generating barrels of Cl gas in your garages, haha.