[Dec 2 2016] Q&A with Dan

Really? I gave you a smiley because you admitted the assumption. Relax.

As the international backer, It would be better if those gift certificate you plan to give use can be “excercised” to real items and shipped together with the GF package. This can save us international backer expensive shipping cost. This is much better than just the certificate for future redemption.

9 Likes

@dan

• What is the current status of the Glowforge PRO?
  • What is the current status of the Filter
  • Could we pls have some evidence that both even exists? Live video?
8 Likes

Yes, but prerelease units are only going to US households, and 120v is standard in the US. That information was specific to the prerelease units.

2 Likes

It’s just for fun and nothing official, but this map plots where glowforge buyers are located around the world. It obviously only represents those who responded and added their location, but it’s unlikely to be completely misleading - there’s no reason US residents would’ve been more likely to add their location than nonUS buyers.

2 Likes

With the new shipping schedule announced, there didn’t seem to be a distinction between Basic and Pro units. Do those next shipping dates apply for both Basic and Pro units or are they on different shipping/development schedules?

4 Likes

This is true! @dan pls comment

Well, I’d point out than many perfect English speakers here had trouble understanding the map, I imagine a language barrier would reduce things further.

It does help give some idea tho, I agree.

1 Like

Best of luck to you today Dan. I can’t even imagine how heart wrenching it was to hit send on that email.

2 Likes

Good point.

Will the air filter be included in this new delivery estimate? Or is there no schedule for that option.

1 Like

Dan and team. You need to provide more details about why you have delayed shipping once again. Your company has taken investment money, and you really need to give honest information that would allow us to make a decision about whether to keep with you on this road. Your announcement only says that your queue of printers not working was longer than the ones that were, but provides scant details on the reasons. Some questions I have right off the cuff, for which I’d appreciate some honest answers:

1. I ordered a Pro but I understand from your previous update that there several fundamental problems with the laser and air extraction. Are these serious problems for which you can see a solution or are you still working on the solution. As an engineer myself, I know when I’m faced with a problem I can’t solve and I’d appreciate some honesty, not just repentance.
  2. Have you started the process of obtaining authorisation to sell the product to the UK, where I am based?
  3. Are you currently experiencing problems in physically shipping the unit outside the States? Have you tried international shipping and did it work without damaging the unit?
  4. How come you have only recently decided on which manufacturer to use? Is it because the previous choices couldn’t actually make the Glowforge?
  5. What was the feedback from each specific consultant you mentioned in your apology?

That’s all for now. Mightily disappointed.

Steve Carney

7 Likes

Can you provide more information on use of funds? GF has both crowdfunding and venture capital. Is the company relying solely on VC for operations, or have you / will you dip into crowdfunding. I’m concerned about the scenario where you are unable to ship and can’t refund full amounts paid. Given the amount of VC raised, I think we’d all feel more comfortable if the crowdfunding fees were kept separately. While escrow is not a likely outcome, a commitment from management that crowdfunding capital isn’t being used for operations seems reasonable. If you can’t provide that assurance, then every delay also increases the risk that we will lose all of our money, since as you highlighted, every day of delay costs substantial capital.

I also second the comments about transparency. I emailed you directly about this shortly after the campaign closed. I didn’t find the answer satisfactory then nor do I now. With 27M of crowdfunding and 32M of VC you can afford the overhead to keep your customers informed. I shared Picobrew as an example of a crowdfunding campaign that communicated excellently. You said you knew the team well, yet you chose not to be transparent. I believe that lack of transparency is costing a lot more credibility than the overhead or whatever other risk you perceive is involved to send a detailed weekly update (with photos, challenges, solutions, impact on ship date). Waiting until December to tell us that it’s not shipping in December is really not acceptable behavior with this much at stake.

Sorry to be so critical. I do hope this works out and am very excited to be a customer.

Fred

6 Likes

Dan does mention elsewhere that customer funds are held in savings and that they’re only relying on external funding for this wave of production. It’s why they can guarantee refunds up until your ship date, I presume.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I’ve tried to keep up to date on the content coming out, but missed that. I’d love to hear that restated in this Q&A.

2 Likes

As someone that bought the glowforge on the basis that I wanted a high quality laser cutter, it is now concerning me that you’re selling a different product entirely when you say the laser head is a magnetic attachment and the forge is now being designed to be a jack of all trades as opposed to a master of just one. As a 3d printer and cnc builder already, I am not looking for a machine that does several things to a minimal ability, but more a laser cutter that can do its job damn well. Can you assure this is the case?

I’m also interested in the longevity of the laser and the air filter. Can you give us any clue as to how often a laser would need replacing. And at what price these replacement parts would come at?

My final question and I expect I speak for all the international customers is:
The incentives to remain are a really lovely sentiment, and I truly appreciate the fact you guys are really trying to make it up to us, BUT in terms of shipping/import costs etc, is it possible for non US customers to just get the vouchers worth of stuff in materials that are shipped WITH our glowforge’s when they do come out? it saves us separate shipping and means our incentives are on balance instead of relatively useless gift certificates.

I like many am relying on this Q&A to reassure my faith in this product as I don’t want it to be shaken just yet. I would much rather a finished product that’s delayed than a faulty one out on time. you’ve made the right choices! Just help me settle my mind a little!

9 Likes

Shipping cost.

Hi this last delay means that I won’t get my Glowforge before moving back to Denmark from Florida. So can’t ship it with the rest of my things.

What is the difference in shipping cost for a basic unit without filter.

Can we make sure the Q&A is recorded for people who can’t watch live?

6 Likes

not to mention the import rates we’re already having to pay on top of everything! would this be an option please dan?

1 Like

3D Engraving

The 3D Engraving sample you are showing looks absolutely gorgeous, but on a single flat image it is a little hard to see the depth of the cuts, please show this in the live stream.

Have this piece been sanded or anything after cut or is it straight out of the machine.

5 Likes