Deep engrave in acrylic

You just CAN’T let me be special. Hmmph. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I tried polishing with toothpaste today – no noticeable difference. If I run across some polishing compound I’ll try again at some point!

1 Like

Really?

6 Likes

ROFL! Yes, I should have specified the Proofgrade plywoods. There is a distinct break in the appearance of the engrave between the veneer and the fill, and that would probably also look fine with a geometric pattern.

2 Likes

I am thinking Thick Poplar Plywood is poplar all the way through as only the “medium” is MDF.

Dunno…haven’t got any of the poplar here. Is it a heavy weight wood? Or lightweight like the basswood?

1 Like

Closer to basswood but as basswood is to balsa.
One of the least expensive hardwoods. Even Lowes carries it in 1/4 inch solid wood.

It might be basswood fill like the thick Proofgrade. (I seem to recall someone saying that Dan had said that at one point, but don’t quote me.)

1 Like

In either case not a huge difference, and If I was to go so far out of the way to use PG than that would be my choice, but Oak plywood and Baltic Birch would be a preference, particularly for a large piece where the plys would be needed for stability.

Well, the only thing is that you are not automatically given the 3D Engrave option as a distinct/separate button on the PG plywoods. You still have the ability to use it at any time, on any material, by switching it yourself to Variable Engrave in the Manual settings area. (Or whatever they are calling it now.)

2 Likes

What I have always done from the first time,

1 Like

That looks amazing. Should be an inlay on the top of a box?

I think we’d all vote that you’re special! You make it a fun place to hang out!

5 Likes

Aww, shucks. :blush:

5 Likes

Try a heat polish. May be tricky bc it’s a design and may distort it, but acrylic can be “polished” with a torch and some MAP gas, but look at a tutorial first…lol

2 Likes

Holy cats, that’s amazing. I’m trying to google depth map images with no luck, how did you find the website? GORGEOUS!

1 Like

Try Pinterest—they keep popping up for me there. :blush:

1 Like

That is pretty cool.

1 Like

This is gorgeous!

1 Like

Sooo pretty! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi!This is awesome! what file format is better for the 3D engraving in your opinion?