Design Challenge #1

I like it! and your 3d model looks good too.
This is turning into a crowd designed board game. Ill think about some rules :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks @andistarnes and @nick07lee :blush: I’m definitely planning on making a more complex iteration with fancier architectural details…being able to just draw them straight on the material and have the glowforge live-trace it will be SO cool!

2 Likes

Hmm,
Need more game pieces than a cow. How about Godzilla, King Kong, Mothra, Megatron, The Hulk, etc.

How many others can we come up with?

3 Likes

I love the skyline. It’d also be kinda fun to do the windows cut all the way through and then doing thin paper backing on the pieces so cows could be thrown through windows.

3 Likes

Great. Although like those milk bottle games at the carnival, I’d make one building bottom weighted so it’s hard to knock down. Makes it more challenging😃

2 Likes

Thin paper in the open windows. Hmm, that would support lighting the buildings from within (or underneath) too!
As worthwhile and exciting as the projects posted here are in their own right, it is equally exciting to think about how we could enhance them with additions that are outside the scope of this challenge’s rules for subsequent iterations! I also love how they are already inspiring others to create related but very different things! @steph’s skyline and @polarbrainfreeze’s chess game are two shining examples!

2 Likes

Yeah, SolidWorks to anything else is a pain! If you were able to get Rhino into the mix you could possibly eliminate Illustrator, or at the very least, create an illustrator file that’s more than a glorified screenshot.
SolidWorks model > IGES > Rhino > [almost anything]
I only have Rhino v4 and it isn’t able to open native SolidWorks 2016 files (2015 worked fine) but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rhino v5 would be able to open 2016 parts and/or assemblies.

SolidWorks model > SolidWorks Drawing > DXF > Illustrator is probably the best method.
SolidWorks model > HSMExpress CAM with Glowforge post processor > SVG > Illustrator is another option (I haven’t actually used HSMExpress, only HSMWorks, but I’m guessing the process would be the same).

1 Like

First- cows through windows? Genius!! And lighting up an architectural model is easily in the top five of my architecture bucket list (right below making a fully edible model, of course). @B_and_D_T’s point about inspiration through the forum is 200% spot on; for me personally, there’s no better way to get inspired than to be around so many creative people!

@jamesdhatch, a weighted bottom- so evil, I love it haha. Especially if the person trying to knock the buildings down doesn’t know about it… :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

you could put a little sound chip in it (like one of the ones you get in greeting cards) mounted to a tilt switch, so it makes building crashing sounds when it falls over.

10 Likes

Um, I am totally going to incorporate that once I can finally cut myself the buildings.

6 Likes

Getting the slices was the hardest part for me. I had to make Cut feature that was driven by configurations. Then drive the cut to each section.
In the end I was able to go: SolidWorks Model > Solidworks Drawing > Illustrator I have SW14 and you can save drw strait to AI files. But there is a bit of cleaning to do because it brings all the origins with it.

SW should get a slicing function.

There is some semblance of a slicing tool. Have you looked at the “splitline” tool? You could use that to convert a series of parallel lines into lines that go around the whole object (assuming it’s a solid body). You could then convert the lines to individual sketches. A bit tedious, but maybe not too bad if you only have to do a dozen or so.

1 Like

I havent used “splitline” before, But thats a good idea. Ive been reading about a “Split Part” tool. It lets you take your main body and save chunks of it as individual bodies. Im not sure how reliable it is yet. its on my todo list to fiddle with.

2 Likes

How about Sauron (the Eye), Smaug, and those Giants in the Hobbit, I forget the names…

1 Like

So I’m still working on learning with Inkscape and how to properly design for a laser. However, here is one I designed a few months ago based on the A-10 Warthog. I was designing it for my son’s mobile, but since he will now beat the glowforge in getting here I’ll share it for all.

It is designed for 1/8" material and defiantly requires glue. Basic instructions: Cut the outer edges. The red rectangles should be 1/8" cut out slots and the rest engraved.

Here is the .svg I built it off of.

24 Likes

That is AWESOME!
The A10 is my all time favorite plane. very cool

4 Likes

Infantryman’s best friend. :grin:

EDIT: I’m not sure why but it doesn’t seem like the .svg is uploading. Just message me if you would like my file.

3 Likes

OMG! Wow!

2 Likes

Here y’are:
Fairchild A-1.svg

9 Likes

Thanks @jbv

3 Likes