Design Files by Email

I found this graphic file by email service today.

http://www.bots101.com/

Even more options…
http://bots-101-frontend.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

You send the commands and/or attachment to generate files, no program necessary.
I have been experimenting all day. With it being email it is kinda hit an miss.

Forum software doesn’t allow using a mailto command with a subject. So you will have to copy an paste.

to: beta@users.bots101.com
subject: Make a thick Voronoi Pattern using 100 points. thicken by 2 pixels. cut with the shape of a cat. add thin black border frame. Make hi res smooth SVG file.

Will email you back something like this…

I found that the line segments are all separate lines. When I brought into illustrator I used the pathfinder tool and chose “Divide” it seems counter intuitive, but it works.

40 Likes

Or this…

subject: Draw a cat. resize 1200. Dither 50 points. add white frame of 200 pixels.

12 Likes

That looks like fun. Thanks for the link, I’ll have to try it out later.

Well, I know what I’m doing the rest of the evening.

2 Likes

subject: Make a delaunay pattern through 75 points. Thicken by 2 pixels. Cut with the shape of a heart. Add thin black border frame. Make hi res smooth SVG file.

14 Likes

This would be a quick way to make panels for a box light.

subject: Make a thick Voronoi Pattern using 50 points. thicken by 5 pixels. cut with the shape of a square. add thin black border frame. Make hi res smooth SVG file.

13 Likes

Oh. My. Freaking. Gawd.

5 Likes

I think that says it all !!!

2 Likes

This is really cool and looks like fun to play around with. I wonder if it’s ever totally off base. Like that Google neural network that can guess what you’re drawing. Its super acurate most of the time. And then occassionally it will guess that, like, your cat doodle is a sink or a knife or a sandwich.

I feel like there’s a game in it somewhere. Like, 5 people each contribute 1 instruction without knowing what anyone wrote. And then everyone has to use the resulting file to make something.

But definitely read over their terms of service before you use anything it creates commercially. Seems like it might be pretty indiscriminate about where it gets stuff from. Probably wouldn’t be an issue, but you never know.

5 Likes

Huh. Sound interesting. :slight_smile: and cool
I’ll check it out. Thanks!

1 Like

I like your game idea! That could be a Glowforge game once everybody has theirs–the last thing is to cut it out.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to to get it to fit a fractal curve inside of a shape. That hasn’t worked. I was able to have it make a fractal curve and then cut out a shape.
Subject: Make a large fractal curve. cut with the shape of a cat. add thin black border frame.

8 Likes

Ok, gave this a try:

“Make a thick Voronoi Pattern using 33 points. thicken by 5 pixels. cut with the shape of a square. add thin black border frame. Make SVG file.”

The svg looked pretty jagged, so I tried “Make smooth svg file.”

Ack-- more jaggies!

OK. How about “Make hi res smooth svg file?”

Eeep! Even worse.

The bitmap versions of these patterns look smoother than the final svg. I wonder if they are processing bitmaps, then auto-tracing at the end?

3 Likes

I bet you are right!

I also brought into illustrator to “connect” all the line segments. So you can also smooth the path before saving.

2 Likes