Design question: Making a functional handle or "knob" for a drawer

Simple circle chord with a tab/slot attachment?

7 Likes

That’s actually a great idea!

4 Likes

I had thought about that after I cut and assembled my build, limited resources on this one but I’ve got some ideas now!

5 Likes

What about cutting one of the tokens in half, then create a rectangular slot on the drawer face where you insert the half token? The half token would act as a pull, and if you have multiple drawers with different tokens (really, who only has one token anyway), this would serve as an identifier as well.

10 Likes

Brilliant!

2 Likes

Drill, drill,
cut rope length,
tie rope end in a knot
thread loose end through drill holes
knot other end

Instant rope handle. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Something like this?

16 Likes

Did you find they or make that to respond?

5 Likes

Make, 5 min in Sketchup.

4 Likes

Oh sure, brag about it why don’t you :wink:

7 Likes

Sketchup is super cool.

As for the 5 mins, that’s a good initial concept. I think there are a couple of issues though: there’s nothing to stop it from pushing the handle in, and I think any kind of torque will mess it up.

A simple step out in the “tongue” might solve both of those problems, so the face of the drawer is trapped between the “step” and the little retaining pin you’ve made. It’s a pretty cool design idea.

3 Likes

:laughing: I’d have to fire myself if something like this took any longer.

You’re quite right, it’s little details like this that often trip me up and require a second iteration.
Something like this is better and uses less material

11 Likes

It’s funny, I was actually thinking about doing the same type of thing actually!

3 Likes

That is definitely better. Now put a locking feature on the pin and you’ve got it!

2 Likes

It’s called “wood glue” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s called gel based super glue and it holds much longer then wood glue in my experience

2 Likes

Sure, but just a small serrated tab would work too.

3 Likes

Cut a bunch of disks, with a hole in the middle that’s the size of a long bolt. Then stack the disks on the bolt and use a nut to attach the bolt to the front of your drawer and VIOLA! you’ve got a knob…

You could even use one of your game chips for the big one at the end.

3 Likes

I love this design by committee! In this case it seems to work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.