Desktop Bookshelf (1/4" Wood)

The front side that leans toward the floor?

2 Likes

Maybe on both of the end plates. so it would be readable from the outside of either end.

5 Likes

The idea is to get millennials to read paper books. You fill it with books and as they take them off and read them more and more of their name is displayed :smiling_imp::blush:

13 Likes

Hmmm… Different perspectives. The one I have the opposite side of the name (the “back”) is rotated more vertically than this one looks like it might be - the sides are different.

So I 2nd the end cap idea.

Man, @marmak3261, you have no idea how badly you’re making me want my glowforge! Thank you for continuing to share. I know it actually takes time away from making, and I have some idea as to how demanding your job can be, so thank you again.

2 Likes

I changed the angle of the front and back so the front is not visible for a straight on view, and even at a 45 to the bottom as in the original design, there isn’t much of a chance to see any decoration with the small shelves. This way it has a little more visibility. Yes it may be covered, but I would say most of the time a few books or CDs on the sides and the name is still visible. That’s how it looks to me IRL.

3 Likes

I think I am going to modify this design a bit to make it a display for a board game, so instead of sitting in the rack spine or narrow side out, I’ll lean it in the display so the box front faces out. I think that will look pretty slick. I just have to decide if I want to design some kind of adjustable width shelf, or just cut specific shelves for specific box sizes.

1 Like

This is one of those elegantly simple but infinitely customizable designs that I hope will be represented in the Catalog. Well done!

2 Likes

Very nice, lots of potential for snazzing that up.

Regarding the masking problem, perhaps a quick wipe down with mineral spirits, denatured alcohol or even a tack cloth before applying might help?

1 Like

I love seeing the practical things that can be made with the GF. This little bookshelf is great!

1 Like

Nice! My kids thought it was a manger. They’re still Christmas caroling around the house. Every. Single. Day.

8 Likes