Dimmable switch question

If you don’t mind, I’ll keep you in mind to pick your brain some more if I do start the process of automating, you sound like you’ve got some ideas that really align with what I’d like to do. I’m sure a lot of this is trial and error, and I’m a big proponent of not reinventing the wheel if I can help it.

Of course. There are many folks with more knowledge than me, but I am happy to help. I focus on simplicity and usability more than the tech. I need this stuff to work when I am not home.

1 Like

I use the TP-Link bulbs and am slowly converting them. I already have all LED’s, so I’m just switching out the more frequently used things… porch light that goes on/off at sunset. Bedroom lights, etc.

I live by myself, so I set up automated programs with IFTT - such as, if I go outside of a certain radius from my house (1 mile) , the bedroom lights will turn off.

3 Likes

At this point, I’m almost wondering if it is best to automate the lights or the switches. For example, a great option would be my garage lights. There are a number of times that I’ll get up in the morning and find out that the lights in the garage have been on all night long. I have the 4’ LED shop lights (3 of them) in there and I REALLY would not want to re-buy those as part of an automated system. But if I have a connected switch, I can control all the lights in a single room from one “point”.

If I can check all the switches in my home from my phone, then I can easily tell if one switch is “on” and turn it off from the comfort of my bed if need be.

1 Like

There are a few home automation protocols that long predate Google and Amazon. I would look in to Insteon, Zigbee, and Zwave. I know that Insteon at least can interface with the Echo if you decide you want that.

I standardized on Insteon, and the stuff works OK, but if I was starting over I would take a closer look at the other two.

Smarthome has a lot of Insteon starter kits which are often a good deal compared to individual components. You could get something like this and supplement it with a couple other pieces like light switches.

1 Like

If you’re willing and able to deal with a bit of wiring, replacing the switches is the way to go.

I was going to suggest that for one or two bulbs, if that’s all you ever want, then a smart bulb is less hassle, but since you’ve mentioned you’ve got 5 in that fixture, and an interest in potentially going further at some point, you might as well pick something that you can take further.

Home automation is a mess right now. I’d be amazed if any two people on this thread make the same recommendation. Personally I went with SmartThings, which is a multi-protocol hub, so I have some flexibility in choosing from a mix of Z-Wave and Zigbee devices. You could start with the hub and a compatible smart dimmer switch, but down the road set it up to tell you if you left the lights on in the garage, or turn them off automatically if it’s past a certain time, there’s no motion, and the door is closed.

Yep!

Insteon has worked for me, but there are 2 big BUTs.

1. My system is not complicated. I haven’t hit a barrier yet and may never but I don’t know how far you can push it.

2. Some Insteon parts have been junk with short lifespans. This has improved over the years and things seem OK today… but it makes you think.

(I do really like Insteon’s $30 leak detector with built-in 10 year battery. You can get email if there is a leak hidden in your crawlspace! Pretty cool.)

I love SmartThings. Been using it since the Kickstarter days. It handles all the standard turn things like turning on and off when people walk in and out of a room , auto turn on the exterior lights by using a lux sensor on the deck. Keeps my shop warm by using the temp sensor in the contact sensor on the garage side door to ‘Alexa, Turn on the Glowforge’

1 Like

I have our room rigged up on a less than 20 buck radio frequency button system to turn all the lamps on… but not the main lights that I hate anyway. We usually know where the remote is… hell I usually lose my phone more than that thing. :slight_smile:

I checked the wiring and I was wrong, I do not have a Neutral wire. There are the two black wires and a ground wire. I’ll have to check out what options are still available to me.

@rubbersoul79, do you happen to have a link for the radio frequency button system you have?

As you’ve seen in the thread, there are many different options, so definitely continue to review. If you’re looking for a non-neutral wire version, the Lutron Caseta line does have options that support slightly lower wattage, but the Caseta line is more expensive than some other options.

I cut my ties with Insteon and X10 last year, the need for more devices plus an upgrade to Pro for my automation software “Indego” had me find a cheaper alternative.
I landed on Vera. No monthly fees, and local control, although some features are cloud based. I even had it covering a few of my old Insteons until I had finally had enough.
I’m all ZWave and Zigbee now. iPhone control, and works with Alexa too.

I have a box full of insteon switches cheap if anyone wants them!

1 Like

I use Lowe’s Iris solution to control lights and security. They control the switch plates rather than each bulb, which I prefer. There are several options now for home control, so take the time to do your own research. I too am not a fan of having things listen, so no Alexa or G Home here.

If you’re not ready to go with the whole home solution, then a one-off wifi switch might be a good idea to give the idea a spin.

My dad and I put in recessed lighting in the master bedroom at the wifey’s request.

I also got an IR remote switch to control said recessed lights. it fit right into the standard switch box and BOOM good to go. Dimmable, remembers the last setting. ON/OFF

it is awesome.

it does NOT need to be anything by IR controlled.

does not require Neutral wire AND can control LEDs?

I’m having a lot of trouble finding the right solution.

Remote Controlled, controls LEDs, dimmable, no neutral.

I got the switch at Lowes. Honestly can’t recall about whether or not a neutral wire is connected. I seem to recall NOT. but it has been a few years since we did that project.

ok…I’m liking what I’m seeing. LED compatible, dimmable, no neutral required.

Do you have to purchase a hub in order to make this work or can you just download an app to your phone to control your lights?

it just has a little handheld remote. I suppose you can get an app to use it with a phone. When I got the one we have phones didn’t do as much IR as they do now. Been about 8 years I think

if they have the one with a remote control, then that is good enough for me right now. Local control from a smart phone is a small step up (won’t be losing the phone as much, and either of us can turn off the light from the bed).

I would hope that the hub solution essentially just adds the ability to view, monitor, and control things when you are away from home.

I’ll probably be stopping at a Lowes sometime soon to check these out in person! Hopefully I can chat with someone there to get a good idea of what I’d be getting myself into.

It’s more common for dimmers to have a no-neutral configuration, since they can trickle power through to run the electronics even when it’s “off”. This causes problems with LED lights since that power is often enough to cause them to flicker.

1 Like