Discussion of July 2023 Update

Sorry if I missed it, but when will the new materials be available in the store?

6 Likes

Yes! They will be available at Michael’s and JOANN’s.

5 Likes

i see some of them popping up now. there are some eco iron-on in there now.

10 Likes

Is Glowforge going to have readily available spare parts? All of them?
…asking for a friend. I have two Glowforge Basics :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ohhhh. I see “we’re selling it in 3-packs” and “they’re available in 12x12,” but nothing about “not in the GF store.”

5 Likes

Hey there! This is some interesting news. I’m curious, can you share the technical specs on the Aura? Specifically, I’m curious what the wavelength is. That could open up marking a number of different materials that the CO2 laser can’t at 10.6um.

One question I do have. With the new diode laser, does that mean that the Expansion Port idea is dead? I know that was one option I was interested in, having a Diode Laser option in the Expansion Port.

4 Likes

My local Michaels just started stocking the new materials. An employee said they’re still putting them out.

8 Likes

Hi @joe Here is the Aura page with all of the details: Glowforge Aura – Glowforge Shop.

5 Likes

The specs you are asking about are not on the referenced aura glowforge shop page. They are actually on the regulatory information page: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034142373-Regulatory-Information#:~:text=The%20Glowforge%20Pro%20unit%20is,10.6%20µm%20continuous%20wave%20(CW)

Glowforge Aura

The Glowforge Aura unit has an overall Class 1 laser equipment classification.

The included laser diode has the following characteristics:

• Wavelength: 450nm CW
  • Internal laser power: less than 6000 milliwatts peak
  • Beam diameter: 0.1mm
  • Beam divergence: 9mRad
14 Likes

Thanks @MyDogsThinkImCrazy for posting the link! So many links and chats happening today, so appreciate it!

7 Likes

They’re in the GF store, too.

4 Likes

They weren’t when the news was published, hence the question. :wink:

3 Likes

I am excited that the Glowforge community will grow with the introduction of the Aura and there will lots of new things to learn from one another. I hope it is a success.

7 Likes

Is there any referral kickback with this new unit?

4 Likes

Greetings Emily -

I’m wondering about the Premium subscription - will it become ‘free’? The Michaels website says -

Unleash your creativity with Glowforge Aura’s free and easy-to-use design software

The GF website says -

Easy-to-use, web-based software will have you printing in minutes
Glowforge App works with Mac, PC, Chromebook, tablet, and phone
Compatible with JPEG…

My subscription runs out in a week, I believe, I just checked and it shows an ‘Anniversary Sale’ to renew for $349 / 18 mo. I can see $20/ mo., I guess, but wanted to check.

Thanks,
HL

5 Likes

Since Aura is only available at Michael’s and JOANN, we currently don’t have a referral program for the Aura.

4 Likes

The Premium subscription is a paid subscription with Glowforge Aura and Glowforge Pro. Michael’s website is referring to the Glowforge prints that are free to print with.

3 Likes

It’s 450nm.

Oh no, still in the hopper! The Aura has a removable head and interconnect port, too.

No - we’re selling exclusively through retailers, so there’s no way for us to do that.

Glowforge Print is included, free, forever. Glowforge Premium pricing hasn’t changed.

One note - your Performance printer (basic, plus, or pro) comes with unlimited size prints (free forever). The new Glowforge Aura comes with prints up to 100k in size, free forever; you need Premium to unlock bigger file sizes.

14 Likes

Although I’m a fan and active user for many things on Discord - this should be like any other service in which one has to opt-in rather than scrambling to find an option to op-out. And then adding insult to injury in that there is no such opt-out option. New and shiny is fine and well, but I shouldn’t have to actively close the distraction after every job.

15 Likes

Congratulations @emilyhuh ! What did you do at Cheezburger?
So cool! I love the updates!!!

6 Likes