Discussion of July 2023 Update

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll add this to our Hopper list.

1 Like

Yes, Proofgrade sticker material in a variety of colors would be a very nice option.

Unfortunately to really do stickers, or HTV iron-ons for that matter, you really need to kiss-cut the material and not blow through the carrier. It seems like people have had mixed results with that in the past.

5 Likes

I sent along these suggestions to our Proofgrade team. All the colors!

2 Likes

Aura’s eco iron on (HTV) settings are pretty good on the kiss cut. Haven’t tried the material in GF Pro yet.

4 Likes

I do that regularly and reliably with polyester sticker stock on my Basic.

6 Likes

Cool! Would you be willing to share the materials and settings in Beyond the Manual ?

1 Like

Yep!

3 Likes

Missed it the first time… Bookmarked, thanks!

2 Likes

Awesome update and thank you for keeping the Vision for Glowforge consistent and fresh. Excited to try the iron-on, that would be totally new to me. Congratulations on launching the Aura and broadening your target while keeping your existing customers still proud to own their GF. Fantastic!
One comment… I noticed the link to the Discord discussion while on the app, I can’t figure out a way to make it invisible. Frankly, that stuff (social media) is an opt-in for me, I want it out of my life by default. If you could fix that to leave us the choice, that would be great.

4 Likes

Fully agree with LogicGeek, TexanGothic, and john31!!

Thanks for all of your support and your excitement! There is a way to hide the chat window for each print. I have been passing along the feedback about being able to permanently hide the chat window while printing to the team though, so I’ll send this along. Thank you!

4 Likes

@emilyhuh it would be awesome to see something like settings for foam sheets added. I am guessing this won’t happen, but just thought I’d throw it out there.

6 Likes

Ooh good suggestion. Adding that to the Hopper! :rabbit2:

4 Likes

Hi Emily,
Any update on this? My GF work is extremely complex with multiple passes, flipping parts to do both front and back match ups, etc… This chat feature is a real distraction and forces me to break my own commitment to avoid social media. Please reiterate to the features team that there should be a way to opt out.

Thanks,
John

5 Likes

While you wait for an answer, you may want to consider using a browser extension to hide the chat:

8 Likes

Thanks, Chris! I ended up using SiteBlock and it worked (after a restart).
Only after having this distraction removed did I realize how much of my attention it was grabbing. GF team, please really try and learn from this. The data on social media, distraction and well-being is available and clear. Be part of the solution, by continuing to develop tools that allow us to explore our creativity without diminishing our being present in the creative process. And… keeping a close watch on that laser bed.

6 Likes

I hate social media more than almost anyone, and never use this chat feature, but I am also not enraged by it.

Having it show up while printing was a weird choice though, IMHO. If anything it should be easily accessible while you are working with the GFUI. If you use Premium and design your stuff in the GFUI it seems like that is when you might want to ask questions or show off.

(If they wanna work on more useful social features I would suggest a way to share our complete designs, with all settings, with other users… Along with allowing them to import the design into their list of projects. If I made a cool practical cut I might actually push the share button and inject it into the discord chat, if that option existed. If other people did the same, I’d actually look at the chat sometimes.)

4 Likes

Hi @john31 Completely understand your perspective and how the chat window can be a distraction while you’re working. I have been passing along your comments and everyone else’s thoughts and suggestions about the chat feature to the product team. No updates but if there are, I’ll let you all know asap. Thank you!

4 Likes

I am rarely affected by the chat window as I am normally in the next room watching the Glowforge and only see it after the job is finished.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.