Discussion of March '17 update

Even if it costs you an extra $1,000-1,500 and 3 weeks of downtime every couple of years? And proper storage of a really big box? And repair charges when it breaks in shipping because you didn’t store that really big box “correctly”?

5 Likes

My main issue is with this mentality[quote=“dan, post:22, topic:6369”]
We have until (ship date + 12 months) to figure it out, since until that time, tube replacement is on us.
[/quote]
I understand production being a priority but a solution to the tube issue needs to be addressed as well PRIOR TO SHIPPING .

Unfortunately I feel this is a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.
If they delay shipping again to address this, people will cancel. (I know I will)
If they don’t address this prior to shipping people will cancel (again so will I)

The only hope is that they can find the resources needed to resolve both of these issues in the next few months. Receiving shipment without knowing how the tube replacements will be handled is certainly not an option and I hope that is not what they are implying by saying they are putting 100% of their focus on delivering units.

There are a lot of solutions being thought up here in the past few hours please take some time to come up with a plan.

(My vote is for a Glowforge “GeekSquad” …GlowSquad… ForgeSquad… ZapSquad…? Something… )

3 Likes

Dan is a smart guy. There’s no way he didn’t anticipate this being an issue for many, many people.

6 Likes

I’m not suggesting that it is all emotional release. I certainly said more than what you quoted. My point really was to say that I hope to hear more.

2 Likes

You’re guessing on all of your numbers, but for my situation, yes. I’m sure that for others, including probably you, that won’t work. I just wanted to fully disclose my position.

1 Like

Also can we clarify that life expectancy is now…[quote=“dan, post:4, topic:6369”]
(And note that 2 years is an estimate for heavy use - hobby use may be much, much longer).
[/quote]
and not…

from the life expectancy thread?

11 Likes

@Jules Not to be a huge pain in the butt, but is there anyway you (or any other pre-releaser) could take a photo of the laser assembly? As I understand it you all aren’t under any NDA’s.

That might allow people to glean a but more info on why the decision was made (assuming no guidance comes from Dan, which hasn’t come in the past due to lawyers)

5 Likes

If I might offer a suggestion – one which may not be popular with some folks, but still could offer a different solution. When I bought my Makerbot Replicator 2, I could talk to support and make the repairs myself (new wiring harness, new motherboard, stepper motor switches, print head etc.). When they went to their new design of machine and I got a Z18 (a bit more expensive than my GF Pro with Filter) which, except for the print head, requires a tech to access, let alone repair, I got a subscription to their MakerCare service.

This service covers a variety of repairs and replacements and includes free shipping.

Just an idea…

6 Likes

@jrnelson , you can emotionally release by cancelling too! (/sarcasm)

1 Like

2 years, you might want to be clear if that is “time while sitting in a box” or “time estimated with heavy/typical use”. Like, will the tube leak and decompress or something over 2 years? Or… as a casual hobbiest, can I rely on this thing for the next 10-20 years. :slight_smile:

Tube replacement… Please just let us do it. Make it complicated + safe, and I’ll sign a safety waver saying I wont sue you. This is pretty bad to force an expensive shipment and downtime on us. Great to have the option to let you fix it. But let the handy people do their thing and ignore warrenty and rules and stuff. Big suck here. Just give us the checkbox to check that says we’re not going to sue you.

So… can I order my own laser from an OEM manufacturer and just do it anyway? As long as I can, I’ll be HAPPY. :slight_smile: Just enable that for us, please. :slight_smile:

(I dont normally post anything, because I trust the h**l out of you folks to nail this thing, but here’s a reaction :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

I do wish we had more answers to this issue before the units ship

2 Likes

I would hope today at Glowforge started with an emergency @staff meeting.

Sooo, warranty repairs will be the same way…

This simply wasn’t the right way to handle this and left so many unanswered questions that have caused panic and confusion in the community. I also noticed that this ‘little’ tidbit didn’t go out via email so there are still plenty of owners who may not know about the change.

This is a big deal and needs a better solution.

7 Likes

You know, it’d be kind of funny (not really) if Glowforge doesn’t let us buy tubes and the guy who built his own laser isn’t allowed to replace the tube in it.

11 Likes

Another supplemental idea: Does the current manufacturer of our machines have service locations in other parts of the world or other parts of the US that could be trained to provide tube servicing or other repairs?

1 Like

Sure, I just think it’s an unnecessary dig.

Not exactly. $500 is what Dan says the cost of a new tube (not more than which generally means $499.99). Oversized/overweight boxes the size of the GF are UPS shippable but at a premium. Other lasers of the same size/weight can cost $350-500 for shipping (see ebay, Aliexpress, Trotex, ULS, etc). Times 2.

I have anecdotal evidence of the every couple of years - that’s what I see with my lasers now. Sometimes more but also sometimes less. There’s no real data from GF on that because they’ve said it’s 2000 hours for light use and also for heavy users.

And the save the box issue is huge - UPS won’t take responsibility for for inadequate packaging. Unless GF does, you better be able to prove that box you stashed in the shed or the basement or the attic is suitable to the task (i.e. same as when it got shipped the first time).

This is a big deal for a lot of people. In fact you may be in a fairly small minority based on the reactions to the poll in the other thread. Sliding it in under “miscellaneous” was disingenuous.

8 Likes

There may only be about 10,000 GFs in the world at launch. A year later when tubes start to die, maybe there will be twice that amount? Is that a big enough market to develop a clone tube? I dunno. Not gonna hold my breath for anyone to serve the GF market besides GF themselves.

This is a great question.

2 Likes

Calling it a “dig” suggests some sort of malice on my part toward people unhappy with the situation. I can share with you that I definitely had none. I see how you are interpreting it and hope my further clarification helps you understand what I was trying to communicate. If it hasn’t yet, I’ll say it one more way. When everybody has said what they want to say, I would like it if Glowforge told us more.

3 Likes

Though the tube replacement surprise could and should have been handled better, I have to believe that @dan and others are feverishly working on an alternate solution.

Even in the US, the shipping cost will almost DOUBLE the $500 estimate for tube replacement. As of today, UPS say the RETAIL cost to ship a Glowforge to Seattle from my area is $240, WITHOUT ADDITIONAL INSURANCE. Most of us are retail customers, so we will pay UPS the full retail price.

Cost aside, shipping a 55 lb piece of electronics for a repair is totally unacceptable.

4 Likes

Here is another idea that I don’t think anyone posted.
How about Glowforge offering a Lease program? They ship you out a new unit, you use it up, and send it back after two years, on their dime. Of course, you would pay more per month, but it would be cheaper than having to buy one outright. Also, Glowforge could receive those used Forges, and recondition/ replace the tubes and sell them as cheaper used units down the road.

7 Likes