Discussion of March '17 update

Ha yeah I was a bit tired. It was national nap day after all. Here’s to hoping the estimates are short!

3 Likes

You have a National Nap Day!
Amazing…

3 Likes

Suitably the day after we lose an hour from daylight savings =)

7 Likes

They aren’t real holidays; but right now there is a fad: there are several somethings every day. Some days are marked for awareness about serious things; but you can choose to collectively celebrate a few silly things on any given day.

For example, today is 3/14: Pi day. Naturally, we all make or buy flaky-crusted fruit-filled circular-shaped desserts to celebrate mathematics in general, and circular calculations specifically.

9 Likes

Read something the other day that said it was poor planning to change clocks ahead at 2AM Sunday morning. Best at 4PM Friday afternoon.

8 Likes

I couldnt agree more! That way you get off work early, and have the whole weekend to make up for it.

Im hoping theyll just get rid of it altogether at some point.

5 Likes

I bet, if spring forward (daylight savings time) were changed to 4:00 PM on Friday, businesses across the country would make sure this madness of changing the clocks twice a year would stop.

6 Likes

Two things:

1. It serves no purpose in modern times. The practice needs to end.
  2. So called Daylight Savings Time has been extended to last for more than 6 months of the year. As such, isn’t it the standard now?! So why call the other time Standard Time?!
4 Likes

It’s like a standard transmission…isn’t. Could move to Arizona. Most of the state doesn’t observe.

1 Like

It does serve purposes, but you can make the call whether you care about those purposes. We aren’t trying to save candle wax anymore, that’s true.

I learned a few more reasons in addition to the ones I already knew about, from reading this NYT article:

5 Likes

It is true. However, we also do not have the late summer sunsets that most others experience. If you are a morning person, our sunrise is before 5am instead… so we have that going for us.

1 Like

I was very sad that I missed Pi Day yesterday, so I extended it into Pi Days! After all, Pi isn’t just 3.14 - it’s 3.14-15!

Many tartlets were sacrificed to the math gods today in supplication…

(can’t believe I de-lurked for this, but it’s probably my favorite holiday/non-holiday)

Hello to all!

John

17 Likes

Welcome! Feel free to delurk more regularly you’ll find quite nerdy company around here

3 Likes

Good idea! I made a Shepherd’s pie for dinner last night in honor of Pi day, and we are finishing off the leftovers tonight.

3 Likes

Chuckle! Yeah, you’re gonna fit in well! Welcome to forum. :relaxed:

1 Like

I had pizza last night… that counts, right?

6 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

pizza always counts. for everything. in all ways.

11 Likes

Oh that’s good cause we had leftover pizza too.

2 Likes

As a UK member, I just want to say this.
Even here, we remember which way our clocks go with the.
Spring forward.
Fall back.
Thing.
IT’S CALLED AUTUMN PEOPLE!
Just saying.:sunglasses:

5 Likes