Discussion of March '17 update

It might be converted into a model for licensed repair locations, if one wants to undergo more extensive training.

7 Likes

This was a very welcome and heartening update, Dan. Thank you. I must agree with everyone about the new direction concerning tube replacement. I too like the idea of a location or locations where we could take our machines to have the tube replaced. At that point though, I would have to weigh the cost of a road trip to that facility vs. cost of shipping the entire Glowforge. But, I do love a good road tripā€¦:relaxed:

15 Likes

I like this idea too.

12 Likes

This made me think about when we owned a Segway for a few years. It was the most fun and fantastic thing to own, but exorbitantly expensive to get repaired. There are (were?) only two places in Oregon that were authorized placesā€¦which involved a drive. And parts were crazy expensive. Just the two giant batteries in the thing cost $1,800 to replace.

5 Likes

Gotta feel bad for Dan & crew (as well as international buyers). I have a feeling the tube situation is a lawyer thingā€¦

13 Likes

And maybe if one put in 3 years of repair service with positive reviews, one could qualify to become a Proofgrade outlet location. Under Glowforge guidelines, one could buy the materials at a resellers rate and make the materials available to those that would not ordinarily have access to them, like foreign customers. A portion of the 10,000 initial customers would then be, not only ambassadors, but also enablers to the next 10,000. Essentially, turn those customers into engines of sustainable future growth. I can imagine licensed repair locations and Proofgrade outlets popping up all over the globe.

15 Likes

Dan please make this a priority. This is so important especially for us international customers.

Having to ship such a big device like the glowforge back to the USA is just ineffective. Actually I think it would be way cheaper to get a technician from glowforge HQ to Paris or Frankfurt, pay him a first class hotel for a week and let him replace say 20 tubes than to ship 10 glowforge Europe <-> USA.

But becoming a qualified glowforgian :slight_smile: and being able to do this for yourself and maybe others seems so much smarter. I mean we are building houses, cars, 3D printers, cnc routersā€¦ I think we can handle this.

So please. This is so important for us! Thank you!

19 Likes

I also have this feeling. But we are makers, we can solve those problems. There are already some good ideas.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Dan. I mostly enjoyed reading it!

I understand why you have said this, however international customers need to know exactly what will be involved in a tube replacement before their order ships.

Your current suggested approach appears to be that we ship our units back at our cost, pay for a new tube, and wait for it to be shipped back.

If thatā€™s the case then most international buyers will be left with no reasonable option but to cancel. The cost will be prohibitive for hobbyists and the turnaround time will be prohibitive for many businesses.

Rather than write off of your international customers, please find a way to sell tube replacement kits to be used at the buyerā€™s own risk and guarantee that you will be able to offer them to us before shipping our units.

I have no problem accepting liability for damage caused by an incorrectly installed tube. I cannot keep my order if itā€™s going to cost me approx. US$1700 every two years just to keep the tube running.

Sorry for writing such a long message - I just feel like the magnitude of this problem is being glossed over. Itā€™s make or break for most international customers. Figuring out the exact details is critical, not something to investigate ā€œdown the roadā€

37 Likes

I would volunteer to become authorized to replace tubes in the Northeast. I also work with a bunch of repair centers throughout the US and Canada who are very familiar with technical repairs, and have excellent customer service ratings.
The two way shipping from the east coast is going to be expensive, especially if not included in the $500 replacement cost.

11 Likes

I would definitely consider taking a certification course on Tubectomy! :mask: :hospital:

7 Likes

There has got to be a middle ground where the parts can be made available but you donā€™t endorse home installation. I mean Iā€™m not a certified appliance repair person but we donā€™t seem to have much trouble coming by parts - I think we are on our 8th or so door lock assembly in the washing machine.

Hopefully right to repair style legislation will include clarity on liability so that manufacturers donā€™t have to let their lawyers scare them quite so much.

8 Likes

And depending on capabilities, other repairs. While much rarer, other things will fail.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got the SE covered, Iā€™ve been repairing electrical mechanical things for the last 40 years. You decide to go this direction and Iā€™ll be looking for a van.

5 Likes

I will not pay shipping from Canada to and from the US, as well as pay for replacement tubes! If there is 100% assurance made very soon of an authorized tube replacement service in Victoria or Vancouver BC I will continue being patient but otherwise this is completely unrealistic for me and not what I signed up for. You guys had better sort this out before you lose most of your international sales!
And also offering first shipments to more active forum members is a bit weak. As early backers, we all paid our dues in this long wait and deserve to receive our units as much as anyone. Finally losing faith hereā€¦

16 Likes

Tube replacement is a BIIIIIG deal. Shipping costs, Tube costs, plus downtime, letā€™s assume a best case scenario of 3 weeks. I can see a tube replacement costing in excess of the original purchase cost of the Glowforge itself.
And I bought a Pro!
I see my options as:

1. Cancel. Really donā€™t want to.
  2. Buy a second unit. Really canā€™t afford to and donā€™t have the space for a second.
  3. Fly out to Seattle and get trained. Looking like the cheapest option, should it actually be an option.

Iā€™ll be honest, this is a bigger kick in the guts than two years of delays.

29 Likes

I must say that reading this update has shocked me. Because we will now have to ship the unit back for tube replacement the cost of running this unit for international buyers has skyrocketed. It would have been polite to email international buyers about this prior to any shipping. For me it is the last straw. Unless I recievce advice within 24hrs on a change to process I will have to cancel.
I will be now emailing your orders department to hold my order to give you time to reply.

8 Likes

Come on people. Very harsh for someone to flag the @bdm comment. Itā€™s nothing but the truth (at least a validly perceived truth), as can be seen by the expressions of many other people here.

I also note that many US of A folks are thinking local solutions to their own dilemma. Can I suggest that thinking of an international solution will also give you a local/continental solution.

And the solution needs to be robust and economical. I happen to live in a remote area, where Iā€™m 850km from my first major metropolitan area where a service agent just may exist in the future, if this type of model is adopted. It would still be hugely expensive to get my Glowforge sent away for a service, and returned. No doubt many others will be in similar or worse situations, so I personally donā€™t believe service agents are the way to go.

Personally, at the moment I can only think that a self service (laser tube) kit with instructions is the minimum that should be offered - just like maintenance kits for laser printers and a host of other equipment.

23 Likes

Thanks for the Update Dan, the Tube replacement is really a big Deal. As international customer (switzerland) shipping the whole Unit to USA and back is no option. I donā€™t want to cancel my order, but if there is no other option to change the Tube i will have to. Please come up with a solution! At the Moment itā€™s for me like bacon hanging in front of my Face but i canā€™t reach it, perhaps neverā€¦ :frowning:

14 Likes

As an European customer this update brings up 2 things. First is the tube case, which has been discussed alot. For international customers this is a priority to get this clear and should be a priority for your team to sort out. We canā€™t ship a unit back to the US for a $500 tube replacement when we have the glowforge up and running. It makes no sense from a businesspoint to have that much cost and downtime.

Second is youā€™re basically saying international customers will be shipped last, so our point in line makes no difference. Shame you and your team wherenā€™t upfront when I asked this 4 months ago and you basically told me that shipping would be by order date, also for international customers. @dan Can you atleast give us an update to which countries you can currently ship currently? I donā€™t want to get an email in July saying you canā€™t ship due to certification and regulation.

14 Likes