Discussion of March 2022 Update

Good news, 'cause I don’t think I can justify the a new machine when my tube wears out. It almost costs as much as an Apple computer! (now it’s my turn to be bitter about the lack of an M1 iMac Pro)

Seriously though, I’m hoping mine will survive long enough for an entirely new model to come out. But if it doesn’t, I can swing a tube replacement.

8 Likes

i’m wanting/waiting for a mac pro M1 (or m2) tower…
My money will be going to Apple THAT DAY (sorry Glowforge)

1 Like

This is one case I’d rather have the repair done than get a refurb. With a tube repair I get a brand new tube that’s not likely to have been sitting around getting too old and also won’t have any hours of use on it. With a refurb I’m getting an unknown tube age (& they degrade regardless of use just through the passage of time) and it will also most likely have had some number of hours of use. The refurb is less appealing than a new tube replacement.

6 Likes

I have had this conversation with tech’s there, and they promise me, the tube will be good, and I think if a tube goes bad - they will do right by us… (I hope)

I agree with you on this.

I think the new features are cool! Just a suggestion for future features, when they get rolled out in the, app have them default to off and so users have to turn on the feature to use it. I noticed a good amount of folks have been trying to get the align distribute tool to turn off because it was rolled out to automatically be on.

But that is just a minor thing and suggestion. Not trying to critique.

2 Likes

You can’t please all of the people, but you also can’t depend on them to read. So stuff like this happens.

3 Likes

Well, they also don’t proofread. This is behind me as well.

1 Like

agree completely.

creating a LASER “module” where the mounting is fixed. and the tube is put into the “holder” and aligned accordingly. clearly the tubes have variation.

and I have aligned enough lasers in my time to know that the variation is quickly a problem for power delivery.

1 Like

For some reason this discussion just reminded me about the modular, magnetic design of Glowforge’s print head. How the design could easily support alternative print heads, like maybe a pen/pencil/marker holder, a small router head, a cutting blade for vinyl or stickers, an inkjet print head, etc. There’s so much Glowforge can still do even if they stick with the current overall design for years.

3 Likes

Didn’t they just announce the new Mac Pro with M1 Ultra yesterday or day before??

Are you thinking of Mac Studio?

I remember seeing something about it recently, but I don’t know if it was the release.

I’m an apple fan, own some stock, worked in the stores in VA for 7 years and only buy windows for certain apps not available. I used to buy only Mac pros for myself, wife and daughter wanted Mac portables. I finally got a iMac Pro and like it a lot. The new Mac studio is tempting me, but to be honest I’ve never ever needed all the power of a pro or the studio. But I’m tempted.

1 Like

Yeah Mac Studio looks amazing. But I’ll just stick with my MacBook Pro. I need portability. Also, UPS will be here shortly with my new iPad Pro. lol

With the discontinuation of the 27" iMac and iMac Pro, I’m afraid my time as a Mac user is coming to an end after 20+ years. I do want a more powerful machine, but the logical next step would be over $7000 from Apple. If I bid my last remaining Mac goodbye, I will be able to get a super powerful Windows PC for far less. I’ll still be able to use all of the software that’s important to me (95% of the time, a web browser, and the rest DaVinci Resolve, Fusion 360, Adobe CC, VSCode, etc.) and unlike going M1, it won’t mean giving up Intel VMs and Docker. Plus, MacOS has become a bit of a dumpster fire lately. Used to be that it just worked, now it’s on par or worse than Windows. So really, what’s the value proposition? It seems underwater to me.

2 Likes

Perhaps. I thought the video called it the new mac pro but it may well have been the studio.

I have one of the M1 ipad pros and it is fantastic. I’ve had one of the ipad pro’s since gen 1 and they are the best tablets I’ve ever had. And I’ve had just about EVERY major tablet out there. I use mine daily.

2 Likes

I would swear that I saw that the M1 ran virtualized intel code faster than some physical hardware.

I’m not stalking the UPS truck in person, but I am online. :smiley: I know the route from following important packages (and it doesn’t make much sense to me, but whatever, I’m not the delivery expert LOL) - should be here within 15-20 min. lol

2 Likes