Dispatches from the front (Pre-Release Report) - Joyce Kilmer Edition

I love the mix-and-match of the woods! They look so good together.

2 Likes

Is there software that helps design puzzles

Well…
Depends what you are trying to do, and what you need or want software to accomplish.

There are online guides for making your own jigsaw puzzle, and some specifically for making them with lasers.

There are plug-ins and add-ons for the various design suites (Illustrator, Corel, etc).

You can find blank puzzle shapes with google’s image search,

There are math-based programs if you work that way…

There is inspiration all over the place if you want to get away from the traditional shapes. These folks do awesome laser-cut puzzles with shapes inspired by the nervous system:
http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/customPuzzle/

9 Likes

Recently received one of their “edgeless” puzzles as a gift. It’s kicking my butt… Way harder than anything Liberty offers.

19 Likes

Wow, that puzzle just looks like it would be painful to deal with :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s printed on both sides and supposedly the piece will play either way… :scream:

5 Likes

That’s even crazier. :fearful::scream:

How are you supposed to know if the piece is right side up for the side you’re working on?

2 Likes

Hopefully different pictures? If not, gulp!

1 Like

Looking at the picture of the pieces, there does not appear to be a picture, but rather what looks like space or a nebula. Maybe, one side is more colorful than the other side, just looking at the pieces and seeing some that appear to be more brown/gray while others appear to be more colorful.

Either way, this is really going to be a challenge. Hopefully, @dwardio will post another picture once he gets it put together.

2 Likes

It’s based on a Klein bottle, so I suppose there’s just one side and no edges…

12 Likes

Jigsaw designed by Slartibartfast :upside_down:

8 Likes

you just melted my brain

3 Likes

My wife loves gig-saw puzzles, but when she saw this she just said no :frowning:

8 Likes

Good Lord no! :fearful:

1 Like

I forgot to selfie but I was at ther nervous studio today picked up two puzzles

1 Like

8 hours in

17 Likes

Wow. Is success with this based on skill, or luck? With me it would be luck.

2 Likes

Love this project!! The technique of swapping out materials is exactly what I’m aiming to do in my first big project when the Glowforge comes, so it’s amazing to see how wonderful all the PG woods look together! Now I just gotta finish creating the cut file :upside_down:

2 Likes

Oh, good – I’m on par then. :wink:

2 Likes

Ya I was like O ill get two so that I have a huge image… Good god this is tough and mind bending

1 Like