Does any one have comfortable ear saver

Does anyone have a file for the ear savers that would be more comfortable then the one that was given to use

1 Like

Just tell people to use a blowdryer to heat and curve it. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

ok thanks

2 Likes

I’ve been working with a local cloth mask maker to suppler her with GF earsavers. Trying a few tweaks to the design to respond to problems. I used a heat gun to heat the flat earsavers and make a gentle curve to fit the head better and help prevent snapping in half (the acrylic is brittle). I also made a rough and ready modification to create an elongated version to fit bigger heads better. I left off the engrave to prevent snapping. We’ll see how this goes.

(Next, I 'll try some cut from some scraps of leather–that would fit and feel great but I’m afraid is un-sanitizable.)

4 Likes

I can see where the bigger one would work for a lot of people

did you post any of them for us to down load??

I have found two ways to make the Ear Savers more comfortable. One is to increase their length, although that also messes up the file for printing an entire page. It takes some Illustrator machinations.

The best way I’ve found to make them more comfortable is to use flexible silicone cutting boards (3 for $7 at Amazon). Again, some file work is necessary (the boards are 12"x15" instead of 12"x20" like the GF acrylic), but the resulting Ear Savers are sturdy, flexible, and comfortable. I have settled on speed of 320, full power, single pass, and 0.02 in. focus height (that’s the thickness of the material).

Most of the Ear Savers (~600 by now) I’ve made to supply the demand through GF have been acrylic, because that’s what they expect. For me and my friends, I’ve only used silicone. One day, one of my nursing home beneficiaries called to thank me and said, “is there any way to make them softer?” I sent off another 50 to her, this time made from silicone!

2 Likes

Link? I found some plastic ones (unspecified plastic) but not silicone.

Sorry, my bad. Plastic. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN7ZGUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I found. Did you do a burn test for chlorine? It’s probably polypropylene but I didn’t see that called out anywhere for it.

I didn’t, but I’ve (safely) made 5 sheets of them…

I’ll get some and see how they do. I’ve got some 1/32" (.030) acrylic coming in because I’ve run through my supplier’s stock of 1/16" that I’ve been using. That’s pretty flexible and the prongs are strong.

I’d check before you do any more. The damage from chlorine gas is insidious; it doesn’t show up right away.

Just cut as many as you can quickly before the corrosion from the chlorine fumes destroys the internals! It takes a week or two! :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

How do I do a chlorine gas test?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.