Does anyone know what this material is?

Well, sadly I was mistaken on how the power runs for my laser. I knew that physically the only way it could possibly work is pulsing the full power… but I held out hope that maybe I could simulate a lower power laser.

Anyway. My 60W is indeed always going to cut at 60W capability, it just does that for less than all the time when I set lower percent powers. So I cannot test what a 45W can cut by just running at 75%.

Oh well, thanks for trying!

@jacobturner, are you using an RF laser (metal tube like epilog), glass tube like glowforge, or somethign else like a fiber laser? If it’s a glass co2 laser, you should be able to dial back the power in CW operation.

1 Like

Glass tube CO2 laser. I had skimmed the specs on the system and concluded it was DC excited, so assumed from there it probably offered variable continuous wave output. But when I checked for verification with the guy who set up the software he said it was pulsed.

Taking the word of a student may not have worked for me in this case. So I guess back to the original plan of using an ammeter or Oscope to watch the power signal.

It actually looks like a product I use alot for award plaques.
I used it here to make custom xmas ornaments for my HAM radio club.

This is the brushed gold but also comes in brushed aluminum and silver as well as several other colors… Its engravers plastic…same stuff used for name badges…

2 Likes