Dog Harness 1.0

I don’t like to use collars for my little dogs, since their necks can be so fragile, so I’ve been making cloth and velcro vests, or buying harnesses. Smidgen, however, has started chewing through them, which is getting really expensive / time-consuming, so I decided to give leather a try. This is Dog Harness 1.0. The dragon scale pattern was a total fail, and I don’t have enough rivets on hand to fill the holes around the front of the neck, and I had to use snaps in a couple of places where rivets would be more secure, because I didn’t get the size quite right. But he’s been wearing it all day with no chewing so far, so we may be on the right track!

Made with PG Thick natural leather, blue and purple acrylic paint, and Kiwi neutral wax shoe polish. :slight_smile:

37 Likes

Very nice indeed! I like the design of it and the color, too. I have a little one, too. He does fine with a collar around the house, but if we have to go out and put him on a leash, he needs a harness for the same reasons as you mention here. What kind of dog is Smidgen? I may have known from a previous post, but have forgotten. My Bandit is a Havanese and is just about 10lbs.

5 Likes

Very nice harness! Making dog harnesses for my setters is a project I hope to do someday, but I need more practice with leather things…Your Smidgen is cute as can be!

5 Likes

He’s a Maltese/Pomeranian cross, weighs 7 lbs. :blush:

4 Likes

Smidgen is way too cute!!! The collar is gorgeous in blue. Very handsome on him.

5 Likes

Now that’s a well dressed pup! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Beautiful job on the harness for a sweet looking little dog. The name is a nice touch too. :grinning:

4 Likes

Cute dog and nice harness 1.0! And I love his name–I actually named my house Smidginwic! (I’ve never named a house, but seemed appropriate with this one).

4 Likes

What a cutie. Nice harness too.

4 Likes

Adorable! and the harness looks great - love the color.

2 Likes

that looks great. i would need a LOT more leather to make a harness for Dany.

the collar has been on my list for way too long, i need to order my leather and get to it.

3 Likes

Awwwww, what an adorable cutie! Your collar came out perfectly!

2 Likes

I finished River’s harness today. Hers is made from PG medium leather, because she’s so tiny. :slight_smile: Colored with acrylic paints, antiqued with black Kiwi wax shoe polish, and finished with neutral Kiwi polish. Assembled using mismatched hardware I scrounged out of the supplies I have on-hand.

11 Likes

Awwwww!

2 Likes

Both of your little pups are SO darling!

2 Likes

They’re pretty cute, if I do say so myself. :slight_smile: It will be interesting seeing how River turns out. She’s 1/2 Chihuahua, 1/4 Yorkie, and 1/8 each poodle and schnauzer.

2 Likes