Drop Spindle in Leather

There have been some exciting things in leather, lately. I found some thick leather and etched a celtic knot in it. Came out nicely, and looked just like the whorl of a drop spindle. Well, by now you should know where that led me…

It spins like a dream, and if I drop it, the whorl won’t crack. Like my other signature drop spindles, I use a square stem, and the butt end is weighted for stability.

I am not a leather worker, but I guess it’s time to learn some basics.

44 Likes

This looks really nice!

5 Likes

Thank you. I learned from the first one, and have the 2nd one stitched up with glossy cotton and silk. I figure I can do without the special stitching thread, since this leather won’t get a lot of wear on the stitches.

6 Likes

That looks awesome!!

4 Likes

This is magnificent!!

4 Likes

Here’s an update on my most recent whorls. They were still drying at this point.

18 Likes

Wow, these are so striking. Beautiful work!

2 Likes

Thank you! They are so much fun to make.

Today my new stitching pony arrived…guess how I’m going to be busy tomorrow?!

3 Likes

Nothing like new tools!

1 Like

I am a tool junkie in the worst way. The ReStore and Hardware Sales (locally owned) get a fair amount from me each month.

A few years ago I would not have paid for something like a stitching pony. I consider it a necessity even if leatherwork remains at hobby-level. As my occupational therapist says, “If there’s an affordable tool that will allow you to do what you enjoy for a lot longer, then get it.”

2 Likes

Flat out gorgeous!

1 Like

Two of them will have new owners soon:

and

7 Likes

Beautiful.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a drop spindle made from leather, that is soo cool!

2 Likes

It makes a fine yarn. Surprisingly light weight, so it’s not suitable for thicker yarn unless you ply up to size. The balance in my hand is excellent though; when I roll the spun fiber onto the cop (the bump of wound-up yarn is called a ‘cop’) it takes minimal effort.

(and I can personalize any of them…)

One of these days I’ve got to make a video about making/spinning on it. Don’t let me forget!

2 Likes

This is actually one of the things I want to do with my GF, drop spindles, but i never thought of using leather! These are gorgeous!

2 Likes

very lovely!

2 Likes