Edge-Lit Acrylic Rocks On (and things I learned)

Roger that! That’s why I love posting, so many awesome ideas!

These are great, I will be using my 3D printer to make some! Thank you!

I pity da fool that believes that!

(Thanks…)

2 Likes

P.S. - It’s Road KRILL, that’s why the little crustacean! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Okay then, my bad, so this one is on the house heh heh.

2 Likes

Here’s another hack for edge-lighting:

Thicker material allows the light to propagate better and avoid the shadowing issue because more light can pass around the obstacles.

4 Likes

Couple of other tricks - you can get U-channel at the big boxes. Plastic or “chrome” plastic. Sticking a strip of the foil tape we use to seal our lasers on the inside of the U and then making a frame out of it to wrap the acrylic helps eliminate light leakage at the sides and will reflect it back into the plastic. You can also get it from Michael’s, etc as framing for posters.

You can also get LED framing pieces that effectively embed LED tape in a U channel and then you get the light washing over the whole image vs coming at it only from the bottom. You can make it yourself even if you’d rather.

4 Likes

This sounds cool. I am going to try it with my copper foil tape that I use in stained glass projects. If that doesn’t work, will look for the U-channel. Thank you!

…nor who it was that came up with the idea in the first place!:grin:

1 Like

Sumerians. They invented time, calendar, plow, art, everything.

3 Likes

Probably not. They just published first.

6 Likes

Any kind of tape will block the leakage - U-channel helps dress it up a bit. Ditto about the shiny edge treatment to reflect it back into the piece. I think the channel helps make it look more finished then just a foil or taped edge. The copper tape for stained glass would be different though - that gives it a finished look that you won’t get from standard foil tape. Pretty much the use case it was designed for (just different media :slight_smile:).

2 Likes

Okay. Since I totally messed up a very cool band name, I decided to spend a little time to make amends. (Actually was a bit bored since I have NO GLOWFORGE yet - sigh)

Here for your approval is another Logo if you desire it… (SVG and PNG)

RoadKrill.zip (806.5 KB)

18 Likes

I like that! :smile:

2 Likes

That is great! If that’s just entertaining yourself, I really want to see what you do with a laser at your disposal.

2 Likes

@brokendrum, you rock (pun intended)! Thanks so much!