Edge Lit Illusion Votives

Simply beautiful, and thanks for sharing the site!

Btw, did anyone notice/understand their “BBQ” products???

Plus, free :hedgie::squee:!
https://3bee-studio.ru/product/hedgehog-visit-card-holder-plan-vector-file/

5 Likes

I think those are actual, life-size barbecue plans. If you look closely you can see a metal box in the middle of the body.

3 Likes

I don’t tend to be the jealous type… but I have to admit to a twinge of jealously… But just mostly excitement to be able to try some of the wonderful projects everyone is working on… I love these!

3 Likes

Beautiful! Buying an inexpensive design means you have more time to make more projects!

These are so fantastic cynd11! Such a great project and so many possible uses. I can’t believe those little tea lights work so well. I think these are my favorite project of yours.

I haven’t tried it personally, but I saw two cool acrylic tips that might interest you. Someone mentioned lightly sanding the acrylic edge nearest the light to diffuse and even out the light. They were also using white LEDs and just used a red sharpie to paint the acrylic edge. Sure enough, it made the whole thing glow a nice shade of red. They also talked about using tape on the edge and coloring that as it allows for more layers of ink and thus a darker shade. If you run out of colored little lights it might be worth a try.

5 Likes

Some great ideas, I will try them, thanks!

2 Likes

Love these - so cute! Can’t wait to be able to make some myself!! :grinning:

Wow! I’ve used Blender to export SVGs of 3D models for my AxiDraw, but didn’t even think about it for my :glowforge:!! I know what I’m doing this weekend! :wink:

Here’s a tutorial I wrote to get a very specific look from this technique, but can be used for a basic version too: https://myplasticfuture.com/2017/05/13/3d-scan-to-svg-to-plotter-by-way-of-blender/ I plan on having a more generic version but just haven’t had the time to put it together yet. Happy to answer questions.

8 Likes

Gosh, thanks! That was just exactly what I needed!

Love these little rascals and looking forward to doing some of my own some day. Thanks for the settings link.

Those are wonderful.

I love these!! i actually have a couple dozen of the LED colour changing lights mentioned…and i have downloaded like 20 CNC files from that same site to make these…My question is bout the base… Where can i get the pattern to create the holder?.. also i read in notes in a few posts that the GF settings are the standard proofgrade settings for the Acrylic

I’m glad you like them! I designed the bases using a simple open ended box design after measuring the diameter of the votive LED lights–you will want to do the same. The box creation website I used was this one: https://www.festi.info/boxes.py/UniversalBox?language=en
Just measure the lights with a caliper and use those as the inside dimensions of the box. I made it a tiny bit higher than the bulb height (be sure to remove the plastic flame over the bulb with a pair of pliers). Then I designed my acrylic lamps in Illustrator with a bottom piece; take the dimensions of the bottom piece and design an appropriately sized slot in the box to hold the acrylic. You might have to do a couple test runs on scrap to get the sizing right to hold the acrylic piece.

One note: if you are getting your lamp designs from 3Bee studio like I did, I strongly recommend rasterizing the design (I think I rasterized to 675 dpi). I did try scoring the vector lines and it didn’t come out all that well. Although it might be worth revisiting now that they have clean corners implemented–I was having an overburn problem everywhere the lines crossed when I scored the vectors.

Anyway, good luck!

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m curious. Did you use the JPG image to burn these or did you convert one of the other files. I have Illustrator but I don’t have Corel Draw…yet.

All that info is in the original post. Some were converted to PNG and engraved (along with a link to settings that were used), some were scored.

You certainly don’t need both.

Thanks