Eggs pointed down!

I still gotta say “ick” :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you dip eggs in wax they apparently are good for a very long time.

I knew of a guy whose mom dipped hard boiled eggs in wax and sent them to him when he was in viet nam during the war. it was a special treat apparently.

5 Likes

@ellencadwell EGGZACTLY WHAT I NEED!:joy::rofl::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Wow! Hasn’t heard of this. Cool project.

2 Likes

They’re not actually 100 years old. Definitely a very acquired taste, tho beloved by some.

1 Like

Well this is certainly better than keeping in buckets with hay until I can get them in the incubator :rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve only heard of keeping points down for incubation purposes. Since the air cell is at the big end. :woman_shrugging:

Well yesterday I tried our first eggs that I waterglassed back on April 11, 2021. Because of the new chickens we got last year, we’ve had so many eggs that I haven’t needed to use any of the waterglassed ones. Last month we had 261 fresh eggs, and I’ve been giving 3 doz a week to a neighbor, and still have a couple doz left, and we’ve already gotten over 160 so far this month. And I know we’ll have even more as the days get longer! We are definitely NOT egg poor!

But since I waterglassed over 300 of them, which is how many eggs we usually go through during a typical 5 month winter period, I decided we needed to start using them. So I decided to make quiche, which my recipe calls for 4 eggs. And I must say I was happy.

Because this was the first time I’ve ever waterglassed eggs, I was still a bit unsure, even though everything I’ve researched about them says they’d be fine. So I put each one in water to make sure it didn’t float (they didn’t). The shells were a little harder to crack than our fresh eggs, but they looked just like our fresh eggs. Next time I’ll take one of each and take a picture. You really can’t tell them apart.

The quiche turned out great and we didn’t get sick. So I’m sold on the fact that waterglassing works to preserve fresh eggs. I’m going to have to get into doing some real baking and cooking so I can get through our supply! Between those and all our fresh eggs, it might take me all year!

7 Likes

We have 27,000 birds on our farm laying 12-13,000 eggs per day and we have not tried this method yet. I will work on my tray this week so we can start saving those double yokes.

3 Likes

just curious, how much feed is required per chicken per day?

I know there are chickens in my future some day. LOL

1 Like

:expressionless: the price of eggs has gone up along with everything else. Yesterday i bought a dozen of the cheapest eggs at my grocery store and paid 4 dollars for that dozen. The organic eggs were 6 dollars a dozen. Maybe I’d be better off buying a chicken.

1 Like

Dang… $1.59 for 12 Grade A large here.

1 Like

It sounds interesting to get chickens but no chance that is happening here! :smiley:
This has all been interesting though!

1 Like

The cost of chickens vs eggs is probably cheaper, definitely more fun, and the eggs are much better. Eggs can sit in a warehouse for months before they are packaged, which is when the “date” is put on them, so you never know how old the eggs actually are at a store. We get our chicks for $2/ea, price of feed is $11 for 40 lbs, and we go through 3 bags per month for 19 chickens. Sometimes the chickens are more expensive, but to me, definitely worth it. And almost every city allows them now, even in HOAs, as they provide food. Although most cities/HOAs do not allow roosters.

2 Likes

I just threw out my last two store-bought eggs (in a dozen carton) a couple of weeks ago. Sell-by was April 2021.

I used to get eggs from a friend who lives up in the mountains, but a stray dog got into her coup and killed most, mortally wounded the rest. They were pets to her, about a dozen. Best eggs I’d ever had, and lasted for months on the counter. She never had the heart to get more.

She’s a falconer. Brought one of her hawks to hunt on our property once. Amazing to see.

1 Like

My neighbor across the street has roosters… ask me how i know :rofl::rofl::rofl: I’m a light sleeper.

5 Likes

Oh no… that would be horrible.

2 Likes

One of the articles we read when we did research before we even got chickens, was that they could be a year old before the “packed” date was put on. So yeah, I’m not surprised your April 2021 eggs lasted so long. That’s heartbreaking to hear about your friend’s chickens.

We’ve eaten eggs that have been sitting on our counter for over 3 months and they were fine. As long as they’re fresh and you don’t wash them, they will last. Once you wash them, they HAVE to be refrigerated or they spoil fairly quickly. I had to wash the waterglassed eggs before storing them in the calcium hydroxide just because you don’t want any of the dirt or mess infusing into the eggs.

4 Likes