Engrave-a-holic

Some beautiful work!

Gorgeous!!

Most wood finishes provide little to no protection against natural color changes in brightly colored woods like purpleheart or bloodwood. After seeing this bowl:

Loose its purple hue and turn a “meh” brown, I started researching. It seems to mostly be caused by light exposure. Sunlight is the worst thing for brightly colored woods, but all light will sap it of its distinctive color eventually.

There aren’t a lot of products out there. The only thing I’ve found that may work is epoxy resin with both UV protection and light diffusion additives. It’s very expensive, and I haven’t found any that is considered food safe, so I would be reluctant to use it on bowls. It would be fine for strictly artistic pieces, I suppose.

To get back on topic, though: those engravings are just gorgeous. I especially love the maple piece.

7 Likes

I think people just figure “Hey, I made this on my Glowforge, so I’ll put it in Made on a Glowforge.” Then, when some people are told they can’t talk about settings for non-Proofgrade materials here, they get upset… not sure why. Maybe renaming this “Made on Proofgrade” would clear up some of the confusion. I kind of assume people are posting things they made on a Glowforge unless they say otherwise.

3 Likes

In theory there are two different things. One of what folk made, and anther of the challenges of other materials, Rice, toast, all sorts of exotic woods and plastics that each have their own challenges and the theory was that as there was uncertainty as to the quality of the information that it was in the special category.

In similar theory Proofgrade needs no discussion because the setting are automatic and you cant tell what they are anyway so “made on a Glowforge” is supposed to be beauty shots of anything made on the Glowforge and maybe artistic ideas and not concerning technical details. Humans of course are more complicated than a theory.

2 Likes

Perhaps Something like this or even some sort of cosmetic sun blocker would help with the UV issue but even when inside brightly colored woods will change just exposed to air. Some more sensitive than others. My comment was that I found Bloodwood more sensitive than most.

I understand the concept, but people who don’t read the rules and see “Made on a Glowforge” don’t realize that forum forbids discussing settings for non-Proofgrade materials.

1 Like

Master engraver is the title I give you.

Or this might help somebody: Use a marine finish that has UV protection. Probably not food-safe. For example:

or do an internet search with the string ‘marine UV finishes for wood’.

Because you’ve created a topic. That topic is about a created piece. That topic should be able to be all-inclusive… photos, process, details. I’m sure as hell not going to bother creating a whole separate topic regarding a topic I already created, just to link the two together anyway, just to discuss things further. So, I just don’t bother to post much of anything at all anymore. On top of being just plain silly, it’s simply not worth the effort.

3 Likes

We would still like to see, even if all you do is post.

4 Likes

You could simply post in Beyond the Manual and do all the things you want to do with your post. But you don’t, because it’s called Beyond the Manual? Seems like you’re depriving yourself and others out of spite. You want others to see your work, and others want to see your work, but you don’t post it because of the rules of a specific part of this forum. I assume the restriction on sharing settings for non-Proofgrade materials is to prevent people from starting fires, destroying things, burning unapproved, unsafe materials, and other safety-related reasons, in a forum using the Glowforge name in the heading. Beyond the Manual makes it clear that anything posted isn’t exactly official or Glowforge-approved. Ruining all the fun in the name of safety and avoiding lawsuits. They could have, and probably should have, prohibited people from sharing non-Proofgrade settings at all, in the interest of safety and potential legal troubles. But they decided to allow them in a specific forum, with what some consider to be a less than desirable title, somehow causing them to feel shamed or isolated from the “real” Glowforge projects. I don’t let it bother me, but that’s just me.

1 Like

Is there a source out there for depth files?

Very Very nice! If you are selling the designs, please let me know for how much; all the designs look worth playing with! Please let me know either way. Much Thanks. -Joe

1 Like

Not my designs. Found them on a google search. Just search “depth map images.”

2 Likes

Alright. This is officially cool as hell. Thanx!

15 Likes

That came out nice.

This made me think about effects you might achieve with a darker wood base, and one or lighter layers glued on top…might have to give that a try over the christmas break.

2 Likes

I have been playing with them for a while, but your cleanup in that is excellent I have usually cleaned up with hand sanitizer and then a spraydown with bleach then back to alcohol to free up the water and pull it away as the alcohol dries followed by furniture oil.

Yours looks great and appears to have none of that, how did you clran it up so well?

My panel engrave is not cleaned up yet in this pic; that’s the proof grade paper you are looking at.

1 Like