Engraving AR mag

Here is my first glock mag test. Tried to fill it with paint as well. I think I prefer unfilled

11 Likes

I did some more testing as well. Turned out way better this time. Also tried coloring it in and prefer it not colored

7 Likes

The pmag colour change is way better. I wish the glock mags did that as well.

1 Like

Has anyone done a lower yet? Iā€™m eager to see how well he gets through the anodizing.

I havenā€™t seen anyone try one yet but I will be giving it a go maybe next week.

1 Like

Slowed the engrave down a little and I think it came out much crisper

6 Likes

You just gave me some ideas for my range magsā€¦ Did you have to remove the crumb tray? I just got my Glowforge yesterday and havenā€™t done much with it yet.

Yep, anything except a 1911 mag is going to require you to take out the crumb tray sadly

1 Like

Damn, thanks for letting me know! Should I place the glock mag in solo or have it rest on something. Going to do my single stack G43 mags first to test it out.

Removing the tray is simple (you just need to find legos or whatever to prop it up on (pieces of :proofgrade: scrap stacked work great). If you are going to lay the mag directly on the honeycomb make sure it lays exactly flat (like if there is a lip at the bottom of the mag for instance) then you have a variable focus situation, which needs to be avoided.

1 Like

For glock mags my setup is a steel parallel (1/2 i think), then 1" diameter magnets then the glock mag. That gets it into the glowforge range and keeps it planted

2 Likes

Looks like the only place you can prop it up to keep it perpendicular to the laser is between the two red arrows? Beware the bumpout at the bottom could knock it off level which would change the focus.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the advice! Iā€™ll try it out over the weekend and post my results. Been so busy here at the school, I havenā€™t had a chance to play with the machine

Any updates on this? I tried myself on engraving my mag and felt like it did not really come out god. To see it you have to view from an angle but dead on it kinda blends in.

pretty much how it goes; even when I do painted metal mags it only shows at a certain angle; itā€™s a very subtle thing. You might want to do it with masking on and spraypaint/fill it afterwards

If I get some time I have a glock frame Iā€™m going to play with and try stippling.

I like the way it blends in until you catch it at the right angle. Hereā€™s my attempt using settings and advice from this thread:

10 Likes

Did you adjust your power/speed settings on this one? Iā€™m doing some pmag tests today and really like how yours turned out. Thanks!

Engrave settings for pmags were s-1000,p-50%,340lpi

11 Likes

Thank you sir.

I applied Frog tape using a pen cap to rub the tape on in the tight areas. Lasered then dabbed on some white acrylic paint and removed the tape. Very happy with the results!

22 Likes