Extend Exhaust Hose with In-line fan?

Re: fans and filter setups then. I’ve learned quite a bit in the research I did for building mine for the forge.

Filter-wise, I went to this post and built roughly the same thing. I also included a large G4 bag filter in there too and it does a good job of screening all the smoke out so far:

The completed unit is big, and awkward and heavy and I really should have paid more attention to the space i had to work with. I’ve also no idea how it does with the really small, dangerous, particles lasers produce, but I vent the exhaust out the front of the garage via an under floor ducting.

Fan-wise I read this really useful Reddit post on bouncy castle blowers (bounce house, for the Americans) being great for this purpose as they are good at driving large volumes of air against static pressure quickly. They’re also a lot quieter and more efficient than shop vacs or inline fans for kitchen / bathroom vents …and second hand, they’re cheaper too! just, don’t use them as a booster fan with no back pressure as they just run faster and faster until they blow up without any load on them!:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lasercutting/comments/5f0wmn/on_extraction_fans/

The one thing I definitely am stuff struggling with is the smokey smell. I have incorporated a pleated carbon trap in the filter system but that’s really not cutting it. I’m going to install on of the hydroponics filters below on the output vent, but these are design to filter air being drawn in, not vented out so I don’t know how good it’ll be. I’ll report back:

The one I used came with instructions showing it being used in either direction, and reduces the smoke a little, but doesn’t really get rid of any smell. I would never cut acrylic without venting outdoors.

I run my line to a small enclosure outside my window with a car air filter in-front of a bathroom exhaust fan on a dimmer switch to control the speed.

But I tend to build with what I got or can find rather than buying new, so can’t tell you what CFM it is at full speed but I haven’t had any issues.

Basically it goes GF–> GF vent hose–Air filter->Fan–> nature.

Okay… I wonder how many of us are now on some list from all the “hydroponics” equipment we are purchasing??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::rofl:

BTW, I found that 200 cfm was the sweet spot for me with a fan speed control. High for stinky (all) cuts, and low for afterwards and general room evacuations.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a bunch of equipment for an aeroponics system I want to set up for growing herbs and vegetables year-round. When I asked on another forum if anyone had experience, I was mocked and asked exactly which “herb” I planned to grow! lol… I had no idea THAT was as popular of a product to produce yourself…

1 Like

DEFINITELY on the “list”. They’re watching you!!!