Favorite Board Games for Family Game Night

Story Dice is also pretty awesome with younger audiences.

My wife and I would often play Three Dragon Ante before we had kids and a complete lack of game time.

Rummirumble stories remind me of Spoons!

3 Likes

Rory’s story cubes? I’ll check them out! Thanks!

1 Like

Those are the ones. Not sure if there are actual rules for using them. If there are, we haven’t bothered with those :slight_smile: We just roll them out and make as convoluted of a story as need be with the results. So far have never tried to score in any manner.

Have played where one person rolls and makes their own story, and have played where everyone rolls a communal pool, and you can interrupt the story at any time that you see a fitting die (this lets you be competitive, as having more die at the end counts as a score of sorts).

1 Like

They look like fun; less of a game and more of a communal activity. Much three year loves storytelling, she’s going to love this (I ordered a set). I also plan on sharing them with the English as a second language teacher at my school. I do wonder if we could easily engrave and cut expansion dice with lasers…

Yes. You can get blank ones from Amazon. You want to make a jig to hold several in place while you laser them. Do a half dozen of face 1 and then flip them leaving the jig in place and etch the next face…For the GF make each set of a face in a different color and then line them all up on top of each other. In the GFUI ignore all but one color at a time. Once you’ve aligned the first set of faces you won’t have to realign any of the next 5 - just turn on a different color.

Here’s a link to buy blank ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Blank-White-Dice-16MM-Storage/dp/B00LW5CBL8

11 Likes

Thank you for the very detailed post! The way I was envisioning would have been a lot more work, and not have come out as neatly!

I found these. I’ve emailed and asked what they were made of but never have received a response.

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/6669/D-G-Opaque-Blank-White-D4-Dice

I’ve been working on a game prototype that uses custom 4-sided dice, so these would be awesome with the :glowforge:, so long as they are made of a laserable material.

3 Likes

Thank you – do you know what the blank dice are made of?

Compression molded urea granules :slightly_smiling_face:

Pretty standard stuff - most dice, dominoes and even tiles like mahjong are made of it. It’s a urea resin plastic. You can find acrylic dice but they cost more, are lighter and scratch up easier. The urea dice are harder and heavier than acrylic and is why they have the substantial feel that traditional dice have. Downside is color selection is more limited and they have to be tumbled by the manufacturer to soften the edges.

3 Likes

Wow! Cool, thank you, I had no idea. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Looks like it is safe to laser too

4 Likes

If you end up trying them, definitely share the result, as well as the jig you use to hold the D4 so one side is flat to the laser!

1 Like

Have you tried laser engraving these dice? I was just curious if they are some sort of plastic - that is do they engrave “melty” or clean like corian or ceramic (granted I know they are not made out of those materials). Just didn’t want to be stuck with 100 dice and have to hand write on 'em… Anyone know if these are laserable? Or does anyone know where to get poker chips that engrave cleanly? (do the clay ones engrave well?) :thinking:

1 Like

Here is your answer :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thanks. I figured I could answer the question or just do it. I’ve used the dice on other lasers (40W & 60W) so I knew it was no big deal but pictures are worth a lot more than a “yes you can” :slight_smile: Didn’t get around to circling back to this thread to post the link. Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks like Amazon is having a board game sale. (Somewhere in the neighbkrhood of 100 games on sale.)

5 Likes

Hooray for TableTop Day!

2 Likes

Boardgamegeeks has a PDF we can cut, which, at a glance, seems to match the original design. (eg, tabs sticking out where we might prefer flush edges)

In fact, here that is assembled.

There are some nicer looking custom designed replacements on Etsy, but no files for us to mess with.

Still, I’m thinking about assembling the PDF version as-is, but with one or two of the plates being transparent, to give players more insight into which marbles are coming up…

1 Like

My brother introduced me recently to “Rock, Paper, Wizard” This one has been a blast with the kiddos.