First Cut (Pre-Release)

Before going to medical school, I was my wife’s surgical tech (not my day job, just to get experience) and one day I was cleaning up hemorrhagic gastroenteritis with one hand, and ordering a pizza on the phone with the other; that was the day I knew getting grossed out wasn’t going to be an issue…

8 Likes

My wife’s mother was a MLT and her aunt and uncle were both trauma nurses. Luckily, I met her the quarter after my anatomy class, so was somewhat prepared for dinner discussions. Sort of. :wink:

5 Likes

It’s such a funny thing. I turn yellow and nearly pass out when I see my kids getting shots, but I could spout a gusher of blood and it wouldn’t phase me.

5 Likes

My daughter picked her college because it has its own cadaver lab for real autopsies on-site vs virtual digital VRish ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can handle most anything happening to anyone else but my blood is a different story. I’ve waded through it up to my ankles when cars (and passengers) are decapitated but almost fainted when I cut my fingertip off - I had to sit down to stop the queasies.

3 Likes

You [quote=“Scott.Burns, post:85, topic:6253”]
It’s such a funny thing. I turn yellow and nearly pass out when I see my kids getting shots, but I could spout a gusher of blood and it wouldn’t phase me.
[/quote]

It’s funny that my wife can resect an unpreped colon, and often comes home looking like she was on the set of Dexter or Heller skelter but I once needed her to draw blood on me, and she almost passed out. I guess I’m not the right kind of animal.

7 Likes

Just take some Control 3, enzymatic cleaner, or straight up Cydex and rinse water and you’ll be fine. :smirk:

I’m in the SPD(well, ours is split so technically it’s the SPS) so we get to see a lot of the aftermath of what’s been done(and considering lazy surgical techs, a lot more biomass on the instruments then there ought to be at times.

Looks like wood inlays are going to be fairly painless. I cut a snowflake negative out of a piece of wood scrap. Then increased the positive snowflake SVG by .016 inches and it pressed fit perfectly into the negative. BTW: that says nothing about the kerf size because we don’t know if this laser cuts inside, outside or on the lines of an SVG. I just figured .016 was a good first guess.

Someday kerf compensation will be done automatically, but not yet released.

21 Likes

Pictures or it didn’t happen!

4 Likes

I’m playing with one too tonight. (Can’t wait to see how it turns out, but I have to fix dinner.) :smile:

2 Likes

I kind of destroyed the plywood piece squeezing it in and out of the slot a half dozen times before you asked for the pic. Also managed to get it wet and gunk on it. But what’s left is here. It’s only pressed in half way. Just testing whether it would be easy to do. A heap easier than using my jeweler’s saw, that’s for sure.

Didn’t use Proofgrade because I didn’t care what it looked like.

30 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes

Think it took almost 21 seconds to cut. Have spent hours manually cutting a single inlay less complicated.

22 Likes

Fantastic! :grin:

5 Likes

Just assume we’d like pictures of anything Glowforge related if you have the camera handy and it’s not personal. There’s a picture of of the power cord floating around here somewhere with more than a dozen likes if I remember correctly.

18 Likes

To be fair it was a RED power cord. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

32 Likes

Imagine a production machine :glowforge: with a red cord :fire:

3 Likes

Designing for a detailed engrave is going to be interesting, sometimes challenging. The Glowforge part (SW and H/W) is easy using Proofgrade but when working with a laser I will need to be very aware of subtle differences in greyscale. To get the light shades the darker parts might end up too dark. I have some fairly good image editing S/W that I can adjust the dark and light separately, might try it later. But still, I just grabbed one of the wife’s random pencil drawings, threw in Proofgrade maple plywood, and left all settings automatic. (340 lines/inch, ~3 1/2" square) A work in progress.

Original drawing

44 Likes

I see what you mean but it still looks wonderful. And I’m a big fan of your wife’s art!

9 Likes

That’s why I do a grayscale test on every material first thing. You can map a photoshop curves profile to the engrave result to get the desired/more accurate tonal result. I think I sent you a link to the svg. Feel free to use it if you’d like.

Your wife’s got skills

13 Likes