First experiments with 3D engraves

Very good experimenting, thanks! :sunglasses:

For solvent bonding for items like boxes or any right angle construction, a laser cut edge isn’t 90 degrees from the face, and will present less contact surface area. A saw cut is better for a flush fit and strength of the joint.

4 Likes

Stop fooling around, we all know these are just ice cubes! :wink:

Of course, if they were, I guess this would be just as impressive, really…Great job!

1 Like

That jingle makes my eyes bleed. hahaha.

2 Likes

Do you know if that acrylic is cast or extruded. The reason engraving on cast looks good is because leaves a frosted surface. But if you wanted something polished like this extruded might be better.

2 Likes

Hi. I love your project. 3D grayscale like those can be found on internet but I always prefer to understand how things works. Is it a complex process to do those type of images? With what kind of software have you done those?

And finally. are you french with a ame like this?

Cordialement

Marc SIMON

The grid pattern I created in Adobe Photoshop and the spiral was something I found online and then modified for my needs. The same type thing could be created in many photo editing programs (GIMP is free) and even in vector programs like Illustrator or Inkscape (also free).

You can also make depth maps using 3D software. There are various methods of doing this and some experimentation has been done and shared on this forum. Tutorial - Creating a Depth Map from a 3D Model for 3D Engraving!

There have also been some experimentation making depth maps from physical objects. Thinking out of the bottle!

The French side of my family is quite a few generations back. We have visited Paris and look forward to exploring more of France.

4 Likes

thanks a lot

Did you use the original image or a solid image for the defocused pass?

Just the same image I was using for the engrave. A solid image would be an interesting test. It might make a more consistent finish across the entire surface. I also like the torch idea that was mentioned earlier.

2 Likes