First try at Cutting Craft Felt

does the natural project still smell like burned hair afterwards?

I havenā€™t had the chance to work with wool yet. I just did a search to find if someone had done it before.

As to smell, the topic I linked did discuss the smell and how to get rid of it, although there was no follow up as to whether the suggestions worked.

As to side by side felt comparison, I canā€™t find anyone who posted on that. It seems that people were happy just to extrapolate from woven wool to wool felt.

There are enough PRUs and production machines out there that with a bit of luck someone with a machine might do the side by side. Or maybe I didnā€™t do a thorough enough search and there is a post that deals with this.

1 Like

Thereā€™s some really good info in the link here, in particular the copper wire test: https://community.glowforge.com/t/how-to-determine-if-plastic-x-is-safe-to-use/648

Just laying it down. Funny part is, the paper also gets perfectly cut with your material. I have not had a single issue with it. And in every case that Iā€™ve used it, it appears to have 100% eliminated flashback.

5 Likes

Are you anchoring the newspaper or ???

You can probably even use the Glowforge logo on the ruler for photographic perspective correction. XD

Wow! Thatā€™s awesome since Iā€™m planning on doind a lot of cards and invites. The flashback was/is a major concern.

Sometimes I magnet it down. Sometimes I donā€™t. Depends how much excess I have in at the time I guess.

I havenā€™t cut anything like cards yet. But when Iā€™ve used it with 1/8" stuff, it blows my mind how a single-ply of newspaper really does the trick. Best of all, they deliver it right to my door for free! :wink:

3 Likes

Is the material for lasering holding it down effectively or is the airflow not causing the paper to move?

Speaking of paper, have you tried any thin materials yet? If so, any tips on securing the material (pictures would be helpful)?

So felt is the perfect masking for paper then :grin:

9 Likes

The material really holds it down nicely. I just use the magnets on exposed corners just in case the air assist blows a corner up or something I wouldnā€™t want it to get in the way of anything.

Nope. Havenā€™t tried anything less than 1/8". I have some veneer that came in my sample pack, but havenā€™t had cause to use it yet. Also, I should be getting a bunch of veneer donated from a friend next week. So maybe then Iā€™ll give that a try and not waste my :proofgrade:. I do have a sticker I want to cut. I just havenā€™t designed it yet. Itā€™ll have a basic Glowforge checklist on it for me and my family so we donā€™t forget anythingā€¦

1. Put the vent in the window.
  2. Turn on the Glowforge.
  3. Mask any material you care about.
  4. Have fun!
2 Likes

Acrylic OR polyester I hope! I wouldnā€™t think blended fibers would conform with Hobby Lobbyā€™s ethics.

10 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

My Founder Ruler is on semi-permanent residence in the Glowforge providing a straight edge and spacer between the left hand side of the crumb tray and whatever material Iā€™m using. That way I wasnā€™t losing a whole bunch of material with the short/narrow effective cutting size.

I had to put it in upside down though - I had the GF freak out when it ā€œreadā€ the GF logo on the ruler. I think it confused the camera. (Yes I reported it to Support :slight_smile:) No problems after I flipped it over.

10 Likes

Michaels in Canada sells wool craft feltā€¦but itā€™s in their fabric/sewing section. I would think that if we have it in Canada, you could get it in the US. It would do away with the meltyness but would probably stink like crazy!

11 Likes

Do you think these magnets would work? I like the handles on them.

1 Like

Yeah, the handles would be handy. Need to remember that the magnets and material together canā€™t exceed about 0.57" above the crumb tray, otherwise the air assist port will impact the magnets.

1 Like

Good point! Thanks.

1 Like

completely unrelated, but i think we use those for our fridge (or did before we moved into the house with magically unmagnetic appliances). they feel very nice.