First try at engraving a picture

So I uploaded a high def picture used for one of my trading cards to try and engrave it. I used red wood PG, and used the auto setting for this wood. I set the engrave to Photo. On my test samples I have done, Photo seems to be the lightest at engraving. Looks like I will have to give it another try with less power.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

5 Likes

Try proofgrade maple ply. It works so much better for photos.

3 Likes

So plywood over hardwood. Thanks, I will give that a try next.

1 Like

What @takitus said plus removing the mask seems to help.
Make it light with lots of contrast. Not everything translates well but the things that do are often stunning.

1 Like

After everything else, you could try the video from the tutorial “Matrix” from here in the forums. Here’s a direct link to a video. It worked quite well for me with a dark photo.

9 Likes

Certainly converting it to BW/GREYSCALE is going to be a step in the right direction. The glowforge will read blacks as the deepest engrave, and then it will lighten up the closer to white you are. I’ve been doing a lot of testing by doing a smaller scale before going for the big image. I agree that the maple ply or maple hardwood is a good choice when doing photo engraves. I’ll be posting some more results of my latest engrave 8n the next few days, but I’ve previously posted about my wife’s image: [My beautiful, laser engraved wife]

2 Likes

You image is pretty dark without much contrast and it engraved as I would expect. It’ll look cool engraved once you make some adjustments.

Here’s another decent tutorial that shows a few techniques that might help.

4 Likes

So after a few smaller test pieces, I went for a full size one. I have used Gimp once or twice before and never liked it. I tried it again and still not that big of a fan of it, but I’m new to it so that could be the problem.

The photo shop video looks easier to use, and I have used elements a lot when I was younger, so we might have to buy photoshop.

Anyway here is what I came up with using gimp with the image above. I want to do the back of the card now and print it on the back of the wood. Also my cut was a bit off, so thats why it looks off. Was my fault.

I used PG Maple Plywood, and removed the protective layer before cutting.

12 Likes