Flake Mother of Pearl inlay

Thanks!

1 Like

Stunning!

2 Likes

Really, really pretty. That was a beautiful use for the material.

2 Likes

That is brilliant and amazing!

I dropped a few Bondic pens on Mark’s desk one day and I believe they’ve since become a staple around the hardware lab.

8 Likes

Very cool idea @PrintToLaser!! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Shiny!

2 Likes

I’ve said it before … I love teal!!! Fabulous project!

1 Like

That stuff is just resin that’s used in SLA/DLP 3D printers. You can get cheap resin around $50/liter with free shipping, (you can buy in half liter size, but usually runs around $30). $50 seems like a lot, but ends up being cheaper if you are going to be using a lot Bondic. And you can get the printer resin in various colors (translucent colors too).

There also laser pointers that can be used to harden the resin (The light needs to be 405nM) - usually under $10 on eBay.

6 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the tip!

That stuff sure beats the old school epoxy method where you had to play beat the clock!

4 Likes

These are stunning! I’m a little blown away at just how good they look. Great ideas!

1 Like

Pretty!!!

1 Like

that’s gorgeous! I make a lot of UV cure jewelry and even eyeballs for toys and i hadn’t thought to use it for this! Sophie and Toffee has the best UV resin I’ve used. They sell tons of glitters and glow in the dark powders ect as well as the UV flashlights. They’re slow to ship since they’re overseas but they’re worth the wait. I actually have additive powders that change color in sunlight and with the heat of your hand, but i never knew what to do with them. NOW I KNOW. SolorColorDust.com sells those and also paintable liquid crystal if you want to make mood ring effects.

6 Likes

Link looks dead to me

I think it is SolarColorDust.com

5 Likes

We would all love to see some of your work, throw us a bone in the Show & Tell thread!

1 Like

Uploaded some pics here! I don’t have a whole lot of pictures of the UV resin in use since I mostly use it for those eyes. This is the what I put the glitter and mica powder in(this is actually a two part urethane resin, not UV set). I like to layer the different sizes of flake to get different effects. I’m really looking forward to make some inlays like this.

15 Likes

Yes, thanks for sharing those! Great to have your expertise added to the forum! I like your website too. :sunglasses:

This was my first use of the UV cure stuff, really happy with the ease of use - particularly the freedom of work time compared to epoxy.

Thanks!

Yeah, the UV stuff is great! It’s also a lot less smelly than the epoxy resin. I’m curious to see how the stuff I’ve made with it will age since UV rays are the primary cause of resin yellowing. Heat is the other one. I use a UV stabilizer in the two part resins, but it’s not without it’s down sides as well.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how it ages.