Folded stone art by Jose Manuel Castro Lopez

And a recent one…

3 Likes

That doesn’t weigh nearly what it looks like.

An engineering outfit was tasked with transporting an 80 ton storage tank. They rigged it, picked it and had it boomed down on the large truck and were standing around congratulating each other on the successful operation.
A creaking noise, and they all turned and watched the tank roll over carrying the truck with it.
Strange sight seeing this vessel laying on the ground with a huge truck strapped to its side, no part of the truck touching the ground!
A slight incline (inches) from the train flatcar it was picked from was all that it took.

The center of gravity is a lot lower than it looks. If that ram had the mass it looks like, same thing would have happened when the truck rolled up on the curb.
If I were the driver, I wouldn’t have even considered curbing it like that!

4 Likes

I’m with you on looks being deceiving. It has to be a product made to look like stone because the lifting device under the ram is on the lightest part of the body. When you would try to lift it up the weight from the front would tilt it forward. Not only that but the truck pulling it isn’t near large enough to haul the weight.

Edit: did some quick math to help explain my point. Limestone is 175lbs a cubic foot. Guessing at the length by number of axles and width and height from size of the truck a low guess is 4,900 tons (9,800,000 pounds). The newest heaviest tank the military uses is 84 tons.

3 Likes

Most of what you ever wanted to know about this thing: http://www.bigmerino.com.au/big-merino.html

As for the truck and trailer moving it - looks like it was only moved 800m down the road. And that’s a serious trailer! I count 12 axles on the trailer itself - 48 tires in all!

2 Likes

Now that would be an art installation.

1 Like

Australian likes Big Things… The Big Banana, The Big Prawn, The Guitar…

Typically highlight what a town is famous for - or as a tourist attraction.

2 Likes

Another one of Australia’s great things, Tommy Emmanuel CGP. https://www.youtube.com/user/TommyEmmanuelTV

Standing 15.2 meters high, 18 meters long and weighing 97 tones he is an impressive life-like model of Rambo, a stud Ram from a local property, Now is tones the same as tons? Apparently it is a hollow structure as you can tour to the “top lookout” .

1 Like

Hollow would definitely bring the weight down lol

Ok, yet another.

5 Likes

And…

5 Likes

@volivaa I’m going to use up all my likes for the day! GF will tell me to wait 16 hours to use any. I really like your work. I’m happy to spread the love on your great art. - Rich

3 Likes

It’s not mine. It belongs to the guy in the title, but I love it. I have little talent in art. Creating technology, that’s my bag. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoops! Missed that somewhere along the line. Still I used a lot of “Likes”. - Rich

3 Likes

Use them up. At the rate you are going, you just might be able to garner a little bonus for giving them out.

5 Likes

I like badges. Use all your likes, use smileys, post a bunch… contributions make for a really pleasant forum experience. Keep it up, @chrgeup and anyone else who is enjoying the reading.

7 Likes

A new one…

5 Likes

Just can’t shake the similarity:

14 Likes

Not “folded stone”, but ceramic made to look like another material. Another talented artist.

12 Likes

Those are wild!