Font Cutting

Hi, I just purchased some fonts that aren’t supported by glowforge. I ready their instructions for using inkscape and changing the path to “object to path” however this causes each letter to be cut individually, instead of the cursive running together creating one piece for the whole word. Can anyone help me figure out how to change this?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.
The search function is very powerful, and you will be rewarded with lots of help. Here is one place to start: Need help with cursive font in inkscape

11 Likes

You need to select each letter while holding the shift button down. Then with them all selected choose Path/Union.

8 Likes

When you do that while everything is still selected you will want Path > Combine and not Union as inside loops will disappear with Union but still work with Combine. There is also a new widget that one is filled in and one on the right of it is not. You want the one on the right not filling everything.

2 Likes

Actually if you use combine and choose view/display mode/outline you will see they do not weld together. Use Union and they do.

3 Likes

Definitely not. Union is the way to go.

If you use break apart and then try Union yes you’ll see the problem you are referring to, but combine will keep all the overlapping paths and you’ll get very funky results.

5 Likes

I use Inkscape to engrave and cut fonts all the time. I get the size and position where I want it then select Object to Path, Ctrl-Shift-G (to ungroup) then Ctrl+ to Union them.

Object to path, Ctrl-Shift-G, Ctrl+. Takes about 3 seconds.

5 Likes

Nice work guys! Problem was solved before I could even think about it,lol.

3 Likes

Ctrl-Shift-C
Ctrl-Shift-G
Ctrl-+

To Path, Ungroup, Union

5 Likes

Thank you all for your help! I’m still having a bit of trouble. This Object to Path, Group, Union worked for my first word (Mama)… but the second (Dada) won’t union for the life of me. It says, “One of the objects is not a path, cannot perform boolean operation”. I’m confused because the M in Mama is separate from the other letters, so I’m not sure what the issue is with Dada (where the letters are actually all connected). Thanks again

It is Object to Path, Ungroup, Union.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.