Fun resin project with koi

It is a lot of fun. Unfortunately I now have boxes of resin cabochons, pendants, bracelets, spheres, pyramids, doo-dads and the like and nothing I can use them for. So beware. :laughing:

3 Likes

I think these are soooo cool! Where did you find the stickers for this? I’ve never seen anything like that before!

1 Like

I really love this, and I so want to try something with resin! Maybe after gingerbread is over. But if I do, I foresee a huge mess in my future! How does one clean up an accidental resin spill?

2 Likes

I am awarding you “Project of the Week” Congratulations!!

Absolutely beyond adorable and so creative.

You and I are on the same road with resin. I am now using UV resin.

2 Likes

Measuring cups are your best friend.

The little cups hold 1 ounce. The bigger cup 3 ounce.
You will need two little cups and one big cup.

1. Pour Part A of Epoxy/Resin in 1 ounce cup
  2. Pour Part B of Epoxy/Resin in 1 ounce cup
  3. Pour both of these into 3 ounce cup. Use popsicle stick to scrap sides. Stir for 2 minutes. You can add dye at this point.
  4. Poor very slowly into mold.
  5. Take torch to eliminate the air bubbles on top of the resin.

If I can do resin without spilling it all over myself, the table and the dogs ANYONE can do it!!

4 Likes

And so my list grows ever longer :grinning:

3 Likes

I linked to the stickers in my first post.

1 Like

To that summary I would add: there are many types of 2-part epoxy resin. Mostly it boils down to thicker vs thinner (more viscosity vs less). One usually uses them for different purposes. I hate to harp on the same supplier all the time, but I have found the Little Windows resin (I do not get any compensation for this recommendation) allows me to do both casting (into molds) and doming, where it goes right to the edge of a flat surface without spilling over. And because it’s low in viscosity, the bubbles disperse much faster.

If you do want more viscous resin, just wait 45 minutes after mixing for it to thicken before using.

4 Likes

ROTFLMAO!!!

If I took a picture of my craft room and den —-someone here in the community is going to nominate me for an episode of hoarders.

In my defense, I do have everything organized and I do not have old papers or old food containers laying around.

I have lots of hobbies and lots of craft supplies but I always want to add a new creative hobby.

My precious Eric says —-all of my hobbies are cheaper than a psychiatrist. After 25 years of marriage, I don’t think so!

His next wife is set!!! I told him if I die before him “Wait two years then go to Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, AC Moore or Joanne to find your next bride.” “ The engagement ring you will present to her will be the keys to my craft room.”

4 Likes

Wow. Very realistic.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. It blows my mind how many different types of resins exist. Thank you for the tip.