Fun with acrylic version 1

Happy Sunday Funday!

Having fun playing with bending acrylic first tries came out cool. Need to play with the base. But it’s fun and really fast!

Used a heat gun and stainless steel mixing bowl as the form. Once you get it heated it bends pretty fast. Used a set of tongs to make sure it was shaping correct.

New rabbit hole to go down. Lol

84 Likes

I think what you are doing is slumping, and it looks really fun. A few others have done this as well. Check this one out of glass green acrylic: Acrylic slump bowl with PG glass green acrylic

3 Likes

Yes it technically slumping. But I wanted a more precise shape to it. Have been using the heat gun to make flowers as well but using it more like glass blowing and shaping. It’s fun to play.

3 Likes

Glass blowing, now that it a rabbit hole for sure.

3 Likes

I have always wanted to learn to that! Just amazing.

1 Like

Oh, neat!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s not a new concept but just getting my feet wet. More fun to come!

1 Like

Awesome job!

1 Like

Thanks. Working on the base for it now. Was a fun first attempt!

Cant wait to see what you come up with. I’m sure it will be “super easy and quick”. :rofl:

1 Like

Haha. This only took 20 mins from cut to bending. I am going to keep it simple! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice! So many possibilities here. Can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

Oh no, I own a heat gun. Now I’m really going to clean out my garage just to find it!

5 Likes

Haha. It really is fun! Just be careful it gets HOT! I used tongs to handle mine. If you dent it with the tongs just run the gun back over it. Cleans it right up!

3 Likes

That’s beautiful - and I can also see it appearing in a murder mystery!

“What weapon makes 8 evenly spaced 3” holes at such an interesting angle" says the CSI Agent

Just me? Ok then :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Did you use just the heat gun to bend it or did you slump it in the oven first and then touch up with the heat gun? Are you really just telling me I need a heat gun here? Sounds like I need a heat gun.

3 Likes

Just a heat gun. LOL I bought specifically to do this.

2 Likes

HAHA not just you! Someone told me it could kill someone. LOL The base I am finishing up actually cages the bowl shape and the points will not be within killing distance. LOL

2 Likes

Super - looks great! I have been trying to make an acrylic globe using the same type technique, but haven’t finished the files yet. Working in reverse so the engraving will be on the inside and leaving room to put either fairy lights or a regular LED light inside.

4 Likes

That sounds amazing!!! I can’t wait to see that!!!

1 Like