Fusion 360 worth getting?

I am completely biased, but I think Fusion 360 is a no brainer. If you are not using for commercial purposes or if you are using for commercial purposes, but bring in less than $100k in total gross revenue, it’s free. Even if you don’t qualify for the free license, it’s onky $495/year. Quite simply, cost should not be an issue.

I love designing in 3D, but there are benefits in certain applications for 2D only. As @mpipes mentioned, it is more of an engineering program than an art program. So, my winning combo is Fusion for anything 3D or anything engineering. Adobe Illustrator for more artsy or more loosey goosey. Between the two, I can make anything I want.

Everyone here is right that there are plenty of free tutorials out there. I’ve made several of them myself. Some of them are even Glowforge specific. It all comes down to taking the time to learn by watching video and then also by practicing yourself. It’s like learning the guitar. Watch a lesson, then practice. If you watch a lesson, but never pick a guitar up and strum, you will never be able to play anything.

As far as the learning curve goes, I think Fusion 360 is one of the absolutely easiest 3D CAD programs to learn. It is user friendly and intuitive. There is always more to learn, so the learning itself never stops. A famous cyclist once said that the training rides never get easier, you just start to go faster. I think that applies to many things, including learning CAD.

I wish you the best of luck on your CAD learning adventure.
Warmly,
Jason

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.