Geiger Counter (box)

I put it in the first post! Have fun @stevekennedyuk

Got pulled back here and saw that part.
This should be an interest for people living on the ocean all down the west coast. I keep seeing articles about Japanese debris and even an entire boat once.

Does anyone here know if they actively check for radiation, or is the debris more of an issue in and of itself?

If you ever wave a Geiger Counter over foodstuff and other normal everyday things you may become a closet alarmist (shale fossils will freak you out, so not sure what that says about shale fracking).
A subset, Radon, seems to be the local boogeyman, even though we are in an extremely low radon area. However, local housing tends to be sealed rather tight for AC efficiency, so there is a concern.
I spend a lot of time listening to the rain (excellent background noise), so I got that covered without a radon detector next to the smoke alarm.

2 Likes

The debris that washes ashore is from the tsunami itself which came in and out before the reactors popped their tops so there wouldn’t be anything to be concerned about there. Radiation in general is no where near as deadly as most people think as long as the actual radioactive material remains outside of your body.

5 Likes

So I did some testing (bought some Tritium “glow sticks”), definitely picks up best from the side i.e. side that’s top of display.

1 Like

I am not familiar with these

Novelty key chains.

It’s also used in quality night-sights.

1 Like

If you wanted to get fancy, you could cut out some shapes from acrylic to fill in those button areas and act as button caps. Stack a circle on a square on another square with the center removed. The middle square is the size of your cutout hole, the bottom square is larger to act as a retainer.

1 Like

That is a pretty awesome idea. :slight_smile: