bluegrasscountry.org.
Unfortunately, try as I might, I have no musical talent and can
only play the radio.

2 Likes

I see, thanks for the lesson.

1 Like

I like the Darlins on The Andy Griffith Show reruns :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sorry, I tend to ramble in continuous sidebars. Start typing a five word simple reply to a post and somehow make it a full blown TED talk where I’m the speaker and the entire audience. I forget you’re there.

5 Likes

Used to listen to oldtime music via bluegrasscountry.org. Mainly because I knew the show host well and she often played stuff recorded by many of the local musicians . Brad Kolodner, great guy, now hosts the Oldtime Jam program. Played the monthly Baltimore Square Dance one night and Brad sat in for a couple tunes. I was playing upright bass that night. Made me want to give up the banjo completely. Lord, he’s good.

1 Like

I was a long haired rock & roller laying in the back of a pickup truck looking at the stars overhead at the New River Jam listening to Foggy Mountain Breakdown when I realized that any live music had life in it, and my horizons expanded.
Every campfire at the gathering had a banjo, guitar, fiddle and some guy playing spoons, a cherished memory. An historical reflection.

4 Likes

Beautiful work! Will have to show my husband.

1 Like

Simply an amazing project. Bravo. Will there be a video of you (or someone) playing one?

1 Like

Probably not. That wouldn’t be like me. But I will say there is not a noticeable difference in tone between this banjo and my every day banjo of identical size and design that was $1200 new. I made one design decision that cost a little volume. I could make changes to fix it but would rather spend time correcting the design on the next version. Will easily sell this one to get parts for the next two.

3 Likes

My introduction to bluegrass and roots music was through the Smithsonian folkways recordings. My high school library had a whole set of recordings where they went out and recorded folks in the hollers and hillsides. “Suzy licked the Ladle” become one of my go to songs for a sing along.

Then my brother brought home Aeroplane by John Hartford. It transformed our high school classmates and set us on a great path of dedication to this type of music. Fun and fellowship. John Hartford played some great banjo.

As you might recall, John Hartford became set for life with that little ditty he wrote that Glenn Campbell rode to stardom, “Gentle on My Mind”.

So the summer after my senior year in high school, I was working nights at a factory. We all piled into a a VW Beetle and headed down to Salem, Missouri for a music festival highlighted by the Dillards and John Hartford. The Dillards were the musical talent for the Andy Griffith show standing in as the Darlings. I think I had about 5 hours of sleep in 62 hours but it was a memorable time.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.