GF cut bone?

A characteristic of burning protein; hair, skin fingernail or rhino horn. I’m surprised a taste for that can be acquired… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The kids just took a field trip to “The Bone Room” and a fellow teacher came back with a chunk of camel bone he intends to try out in our shop laser cutter. I’ll report back.

3 Likes

Sorry to necro this thread, but I wanted to check back and see if you’ve tried this yet?

Edited to add: I am not trying to add to your To-Do list! I hope you’re getting some sleep these days, my friend :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll do it tomorrow. I finally got my belt sander here to smooth out some cow shank.

8 Likes

Cow shank - the best of the shanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I did a test engrave (5% power, 335 i/m, 675 lpi), score (5%, 60 i/m and cut (80%, 15 i/m) on a piece of bone that was over 1/4" thick in most places.

The score and engrave of bone is really neat. Lots of potential there. The cut went maybe a millimeter deep.

This was some dense cow shank. It would cut through some very thin bone at higher power and slower speed or with multiple cuts.

So how I would finish this domino would be to use a bandsaw to finish the cut and then a belt or strip sander to sand down to size.

34 Likes

Was there a residue or odor during or after the lasering?

3 Likes

Didn’t even notice it when I opened the lid. Exhaust did a pretty good job on this. Since the dots were fairly small there wasn’t a whole lot of burning. It was worse cutting the bone with a saw!

10 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time out to experiment with this and report back!

6 Likes

This is so cool! Reminds me of the ancient Roman dice and gaming pieces that have been found.

7 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Awesome! I wonder how it would do with a tagua nut?

7 Likes

Definitely need to think about that for netsuke. (great…more ideas…sigh!)

4 Likes

Oh ho ho this looks awesome! Maybe I should’ve bought some of those bone blanks!

2 Likes

Outstanding news. I’ve been hoping to see how it looks and now I will be adding bone blanks to my list. The contrast is really nice,

1 Like

Bone drying DIY going to get a lot of hits from this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How long before we get folks asking how to field dress roadkill so they can get the raw materials? :smile:

7 Likes

Considering I purchased a very nice leather purse at a used clothing store this weekend for $3, just to get the leather. I thought my wife was going to kill me when she found me cutting it up :scream:

I guess roadkill is just the next step :wink:

14 Likes

Genius! Haven’t thought about a used clothing store as source of leather.

I picked up a used baby crib on Craigslist once. My parents were giving me crap that it wouldn’t be safe. Before I called the company to make sure it would be, I was thinking to myself, “Wow, this would be a great way to get really cheap cherry wood and other wood of the like!”

12 Likes

Just in case:

17 Likes