Give that wiggly GF tray the boot!

Hmm, those look more like gator than snake…

3 Likes

Oh my yes. I collapsed on my parents’ couch and went catatonic for a bit last night. :expressionless: First week of school, two classes each period for library orientations. I keep up the cheerful extroverted facade for the kids, but when I come home I’m toast!

6 Likes

Nice. Will be next on my list. Been getting wiggly letters on last engrave. This Will hopefully fix it.

Hmm, your tray should never move during operation, even without boots… Is your table sturdy?

Yep…only other thing might have been the sheet of acrylic wiggling…

Yes! Brilliant! Useful! Fun Shaped! Good Write-up! Good Pictures!
Why am I yelling?! Oh yeah, CAUSE IT’S AWESOME!

3 Likes

At long last, an answer for you, dear brother @timjedwards:

Yes, the Basic crumb tray also “wiggles.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aha! Next step is to make sure the boot fits the same way and that the tray stays level within tolerances. I did this by measuring 4 points along the edge of the tray with the plunger of my calipers both before and after booting.

lower the plunger:

place into position, square against the edge:

The tolerances stayed about the same for me.

Don’t bother doing this while you’re still an invalid!

1 Like

I just put these in my basic; looks good to me.

Thanks for the design. I was trying to figure out something similar, but as usual, I was over engineering it.

1 Like

My alpha version was a happy accident… I kept bumping the tray and out of frustration grabbed a random piece of scrap to jam into the gap. It fit perfectly! A second smaller piece stopped y-movement, and I was off to the races.

3 Likes

7 Likes

They work great! Thanks. Only problem is I can’t get “These boots were made for walking” out of my head.

3 Likes

Oh, those lovely ear worms…

2 Likes

At least he’s not trying to figure out who’s bed have your boots been under…

1 Like

Of course they’ve been under my GF’s bed!

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for a solution to this… Just gave my Crumb Tray the boot and it works great! Thanks :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you kindly!!

I tried to move the v2 boots from my original edition old machine to my brand new replacement machine (c. January 2022) and, they do not fit. There seems to have been a change to the profile of the plastic ridge that the notch in the boots accommodates. After substantially more fiddling than I expected to do, I have updated the boots to work in the new machine.

The new machine came sans tray and, my original edition tray fits it as expected. So, I am assuming there have been no relevant changes to the tray design.

My tray is now wiggle-free in the new machine and, I took measurements as described above to validate that these don’t change the surface height or level.

Version 3, b for beta. Engraved date changed to yesterday (22-01-23).

the_boot_tray_stabilizer_v3b.svg.zip (18.8 KB)

the_boot_tray_stabilizer_v3b

10 Likes

Thanks, updated the original post!

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes